Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Frozen Drinkers  (Read 11786 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
SUCCESS!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 10:55:35 pm »
Well folks, the aquarium heater arrived at the weekend, and has been on trial for a couple of days now. All I can say is that it looks to be nothing short of a triumph!

Basically all I did was to take an old plastic bucket, and cut a hen-head sized hole about a third of the way down, so they can lean in and drink. I then turned the heater thermostat to its minimum level (20 degC unfortunately), dropped it in, and set it going.

It's a 50W heater, which initially turned out to be a bit much for just a wee bucket, in that the water was sitting at about 15 degC. To get around this, I fitted a mains timer (the sort you might use to unsuccessfully fool burglars into thinking you're on holiday), and set it to switch on for 15 minutes every hour. This has been just about perfect so far, with the water sitting un-frozen at about 5 degC, despite thick ice all around, and icicles forming on the handle of the bucket! Our outside tap was frozen solid this morning, so all I did instead was to throw a few lumps of ice into the bucket, which then slowly melted and topped up the level!  ;D

I'm afraid I can't post photos from this computer, so they will follow. However, I do reckon this is worth a try for anybody who has mains electricity out to their coops. The heater is this model, which cost me £7.99 including postage, from an E-bay seller called "Koi and Ponds". I chose it because it was firstly cheap, and secondly had a plastic guard around it.

If I had my time again, I might go for the 25 Watt version. However, using the 50 Watt model plus the timer does give a bit more flexibility for tweaking the temperature, and having it turned right down at night.

Have fun folks!!

Womble.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:41:39 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS