Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: North Wales Sheep Thefts  (Read 3466 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
North Wales Sheep Thefts
« on: November 26, 2010, 06:18:12 pm »
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

waterhouse

Re: North Wales Sheep Thefts
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:02:43 pm »
Wasn't me: we stole ours from Norfolk

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 11:29:54 am »
We are, but we definately had them all two days ago before they went back up the mountain
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 07:06:13 pm »
Yes, me!! ??? About 14 miles from Ruthin.  VERY worrying!!!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:52:30 am »
Well I had my Suffolk ram, Shrek, stolen a few weeks ago just before he was due to go in with the ewes. He went from a field with 3 other sheep and 4 donkeys so assume he was stolen to order, obviosly not to eat as there were more succulent ones on the field.
  Anyway police were unbelievable - not much escapes them. I gave them a full description of Shrek - MALE, WHITE with black head and legs, 2 CAULIFLOWER EARS (hence his name),LARGE SCAR ON BACK WHERE NO FLEECE. Would have thought any one of them was pretty distinguishing. 2 days later they tell me a sheep has been found in next village and RSPCA woman looking after him. I go over description with them but they dont know if its him. "At least ask if its a male " I suggest - but RSPCA (I kid you not) did not know. I wait 3 more days and hear nothing. So go 10 miles to nearest Police station and wait outside till the 2 minutes/ day it's open and fortunately Sherlock Holmes is on that day. He rings RSPCA woman who is still unaware of any details of the sheep in her possession. Then quite by chance mentions it's BLACK, THen it must have weed or something because she worked out it was female. So ALLELULIAH - it wasn't Shrek. Thanks all round for your astuteness and powers of observation. Good to know everyone's on the ball.     
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterhouse

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 05:04:14 pm »
I think we're going to see a lot more thefts because of the poor state of the economy.  We've got the horses freeze marked and chipped, and we keep the gates padlocked.  Won't stop it but may slow them down a bit.  Especially if they stumble into the electric fence in the dark.

Our local crime statistics have been heading the wrong way quite sharply so the local police have been quite active.  That said our CCTV filmed the hoodies outside our gate as they raided the next property only 30 minutes after the PCSO had been doing "visible policing".   

I suppose it might even make the EID tags useful, especially for lambs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS