Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone keep their poultry in a shed?  (Read 5855 times)

moorlander

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Staffordshire Moorlands, UK
Re: Anyone keep their poultry in a shed?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 08:16:57 pm »
I suppose my wife would call me a shedaholic and so my words might be biased.
I would never keep poultry in anything other than a shed - it has height and it is usually box-shaped, by far the best configuration for maintenance and general usefulness.
Depending on how many hens you are having might determine your best way forward.
Sheds ar great for giving space and airiness, both advantages for fowl.
Once you start cluttering the floor space too much those advantages can be lost.
Is it tongue and groove or overlap? If tongue and groove it is not at all dfficult to remove lengths of cladding carefully to make apertures to attach exterior nestboxes. These make for easier collection and leave interior space free. With roosts over droppings boards well off the floor, it leaves you (and the hens) with the full 24ft square of floor which can be a boon in bad weather and will give the birds space.
I'd go for sheds every time - they are better value for money and should do a grand job.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Anyone keep their poultry in a shed?
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 08:13:34 pm »
Hi there,

here is a pick of my shed. I have fitted a pop hole as you can see. I have also creosoted it but all the snow and -15 temps have got in the way of building the run. Thanks to those of you who sent me photos they gave me some great ideas.

Buffy   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS