Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lleyn  (Read 3796 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Lleyn
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:33:22 pm »
Hi has anyone any experience of putting a Lleyn tup over Shetland ewes
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Lleyn
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:10:48 pm »
I know someone who has a freezer full of Lleyn meat and doesn't like it

and she's a farmers daughter !!
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:18:53 pm »
I used my lleyn rams on some jacobs and the offspring taste great.  So do the pure lleyns.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:45:05 pm »
Will the cross grow well, would the resulting ewes make good mothers to put to a terminal sire.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 07:43:36 pm »
My vet uses a Lleyn tup on Shetlands. Not sure on taste but he reckons he gets a good price and they are very easy lambing good mums etc. I have pure Shetlands and another neighbour has pure Lleyns (300 odd) so maybe I should try it! But I like my Shetlands too much and they DO taste lovely!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 11:08:48 pm »
I very interesting will keep you posted as to how I get on, the tup I have used is just a lamb but he knows what to do. In the past I have used a Beltex with good results and I think the Lleyn will be almost as good and it is a far more hardy breed. as with all animal breeding (fingers crossed.)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 06:32:38 pm »
We have a Lleyn going in with ours on Sunday (we need a later lambing so we have grass) we have 8 older mules who hopefully will be sold with lambs at foot and 20 shetland x suffolk, who are quite solid I must say, this will be our first lambing so could let you know how it goes or what we get??

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 09:03:23 pm »
In answer to your question - will they grow well - yes they will, provided you feed your Shetlands well once they've lambed so they have plenty of milk. As with any crosses you will get the advantage of hybrid vigour. The resulting x bred females should make excellent mothers for producing meat lambs as they are a cross between 2 good maternal breeds.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS