Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: grrrrr fox!  (Read 3999 times)

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
grrrrr fox!
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:52:35 pm »
looked out my bedroom window yesterday to see a fox homing in on my hens, banged hard on the window and it turned away, only to come round the other side. my 2 dogs where right there and none of them saw each other!

i ran downstairs and took a pot at it with the air rifle, off it went.

i had to go out, so they were left unattended, needless to say 2 of the girls were missing come bedtime, a pile of feathers showing where they met their demise.

today have kept them in the run.

i have 3 cockerels in a seperatepen that we intend to eat......do you think i hsould let them out as a sacrifice in the hope that it will satisfy the fox, or will it just keep on coming back until it gets them all?

the hens really hate being kept in, the run is quite small, just for feeding really, if they have to stay in indefinately we will have to extend it somewhat.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

HappyHippy

Re: grrrrr fox!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 04:25:07 pm »
I think he'll just keep coming back regardless of whether there's 'easy pickings' or not  :(
Try and get yourself a trap or someone to come with a gun that will kill it (I'm not sure if an air rifle would be up to the job - haven't any gun knowledge, but I'm sure someone else will ;))
Try and get the dogs to patrol your area, your OH to pee around the runs to scent mark as well and the last (and a bit bizarre, but effective method) is wee bags of human hair hung roundabout too - ask your local hairdressers  ;)
HTH
Karen x

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 04:53:24 pm »
Trying to kill a fox with an air rifle would be like trying to destroy a tank with a peashooter   :D

A small bore .22 rifle, or if you can get close enough, a shotgun will suffice

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 06:50:23 pm »
had a HUGE fox here the other night.
Chooks are more secure than the rabbits ... but so far he hasn't got at anything.
  We chased him away at half three on a frosty morning.. in our pyjamas!
Little Blue

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:21:01 pm »
Leaving your cockerels out for him in his language = 'easy pickings here, I'll be back for more'. Don't do it, not a good idea.

Fox does what fox does. He will wander about looking for his next meal at any time of day. I've been outside with the radio on as he wandered past me. The look he gave me! Nonchalant and then turned away to so the slowest escape a fox could do. Bothered!

Your fox will be back. In fact, he is probably there more often than you realise. The best you can do is be vigilant, and if you aren't about don't leave them to free range.

:chook:

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 08:25:39 pm »
Never had a fox attack tugh know they are around, but lost my wee disable barnvelder girl to a buzzard the other day

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 09:09:50 pm »
Electric netting run off the mains seems to do the trick, even when it is not kicking in the snow. So far we have not had any taken, even though our old girls are out, more or less free ranging... but we do see prints in the snow (both badger and fox), so they are about.

Borrow a live fox trap, your local gamekeeper/pest control guy will have one or know who has one.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 09:19:42 pm »
I read somewhere that dog muck will keep them away too, not sure if it works but when I 'muck out' our lawn, I chuck it down the bank near the chicken garden.

Hope he doesnt reek to much havoc.

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 07:58:42 am »
thanks for the advise folks. we already do the man pee thing! and my collie is outside all day everyday, her choice.  i knew the air rifle would'nt be enough, but it was to hand and i was angry!

we live nearby to a large estate, they own a lot of the land around us, perhaps i will have a word with the factor, see if they would have a trap i can borrow. or i wonder if i can make one with a dog cage?

OH is away atm, since before christmas. his dad had a stroke, and unfortunately died on tuesday, its been a tough time for lots of reasons, including the fact that a drunk driver wiped steve out on the motorway when he was on his way down there, and this was just the last straw!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 09:21:09 am »
Oh you poor thing, having to cope with that beast on your own and with your dad-in-law having died.  I hope Steve wasn't hurt in that accident.  Our local shoots are always delighted if they manage to bag a fox.  Perhaps the estate runs organised shoots - get them to look out for foxy loxy on the next one.  Good luck.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 09:54:40 am »
thanks hun x

he was shaken up, neck and shoulder a bit sore, but generally ok. i was worried about him driving down with a lot on his mind, but he was doing fine, and only 60 miles from destination when the idiot came along. car is probs a right off.

he's coming home tomorrow, his brother is going to stay with their mum for a while, and after the funeral and house closure she is going to come stay with us.

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 11:06:56 am »
Hope Steve gets home safe and sound mrs, cars are lumps of metal and can be replaced, us peoples can't ! As long as he's not seriously hurt that's the main thing. You've definately not had the best start to the new year - sending lots of virtual hugs and  :-* :-* :-*
Talk to the estate, chances are their gamekeeper/pest control guy will be more than happy to help out or loan you a trap.
Thinking of you  :wave:
Karen x

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 11:39:44 am »
thanks karen, i've passed on your message, he said he might just come for those hugs and kisses in person!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 12:50:08 pm »
Ok more up here for him just a few miles further North!  And e-hugs winging their way to you.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 01:20:23 pm »
oooh, he's going to be all kissed out before he gets home to me!!! :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS