Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed please! :D  (Read 10973 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Advice needed please! :D
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 11:14:11 am »
I bought an unbacked 3yo haflinger filly and backed and brought her on with the help of my instructor and she is truly my horse of a lifetime.

With some breeds (like most welshies and haflingers), ones that can be opinionated! I think it is actually better to get them unspoilt from the breeder so they can have the consistency of handling and firm but kind treatment which means they turn out like a charming character rather than a bit of a challenge!
Mine was still with her mum when I saw her, and her mum was a fab temperament.

Dont be tempted to think of it as a cheaper option tho. I could have bought 3 continental import Haffies with dutch papers for the price of buying and bringing on my proper Austrian breedlines GB registered Haffie but it was worth every penny to have that confidence in her breeding and temperament.
Im not a very confident rider but the knowledge that she relied on me to be brave for her when we were doing all the scary things for the first time really helped oddly!Haffies are originally ArabxTyrolean native ponies so they have a bit of the Arab character. I wouldnt recommend a pure Arab for  afirst time breaking and bringing on project TBH unless it's one that you already know well, just because they are highly intelligent and will quickly take advantage! later on they would be great!

I also

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 02:56:26 pm »
Not all Arabs are hot headed, there are 2 next door to me that are ridden by children. Both are older horses but behave in the field and out on the road. I myself had an Arab cross, he was a lovely horse but did need to be stabled most of the year as he was very thin skinned. I think you either love the breed or hate them, I think they are very loyal to their owner. Have you thought of a native, most of the larger breeds can turn a foot to anything and stay in good health plus are easier to keep. You will know when you find the horse for you but bare in mind it can take up to a year for both horse and rider to click together.  :)

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 04:43:36 pm »
Will definately bear in mind the Irish Draught, I had one on loan and was a sweetie! Definately know what you mean abwout the Arabs, I guess i will always have a soft spot for them & I think i managed well with the mad arab I had before but i totally agree that they are hot blooded and probably not a good option in this situation!!

Sounds amazing that you now have land for your horses :D!

Yep 2 stage vetting & bloods sounds good....does anyone know how much that will cost??
Otherwise I may take experienced friends with me if it isn't beneficial for youngsters?

It will probably be between 1-4years- depending what i can find that's suitable, special :D

Many thanks to all x

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 04:47:06 pm »
Oooh sorry didnt see the above two posts!! Will read now and reply :) x

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 04:52:48 pm »
I love haflingers! My bestfriend has the most amazing haflinger who i could jump bareback, jump XC, he is amazing :D He unfortunately got a windgall which has limited his jumping ability now :( but he is a star !

Ah that is interesting & good to know about the arabs. :)
I was also considering cobs or cob x because i used to loveeee riding a 13.2 cob who jumped amazingly & a 15hh cob that was also great. :D And i do agree, they are hardier & maintain health :)

Many thanks :)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 05:35:02 am »
As long as you have an Instructor or someone very expeirenced with youngsters to be with you at all crucial stages you'll be okay.

It may just be me but by the time I was 17 I was working backing and breaking TB's at a racing yard. I was fearless with them and felt like I developed that special bond with many of them. When I was 20 I bought an unbroken but very well handled 3 year old Irish Draft x mare ... I had been backing horses for years but once I got her to the livery yard and was on my own I fell apart. I had a wonderful instructor to help me but at £30 an hour I couldn't have her with me all the time. The mare was very brave and generally very sweet but we still had problems along the way ... I suffered a huge confidence crisis and ended up paying a fortune to have her professionally backed and schooled ... I'm not saying that my experience is common or that it will happen to you, I'm not even sure why it happened to me!

I ended up selling the mare to a lovely home and still see her every now and then.

I bought a 6 year old after that - he had been broken but was green and needed schooling on ... I had several years of successful competing with him, he's still with me and is still ridden 5 times a week but we don't compete anymore.

Over a year ago now,  I bought a 5 year old unbroken shire mare. Despite their reputation for being laid back and quiet, she is anything but ... every horse has their own personailty! She was a super star to back, she was turned away and bought back at the beginning of this year. It's taken 9 months to iron out her issues, she's tried on every trick in the book and I've felt like giving up more than once! I'm glad I persevered as the sense of achievement is undeniable!

If you decide against something unbroken, a recently backed youngster would still give you that sense of achievement.

A two stage vetting in my area 18 months ago was £130 and bloods were £48 extra.

HTH

Loosey

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 08:08:25 am »

Hi XxhoofprintsxX ,don't know where you are but I am in the Scottish borders with a very nice sec d cross who will be 3 in june. He is a very sensible lad who's sire produces good eventers, standing at 15hh at the moment but a bit higher behind so hoping he will make 15.2hh. Open to sensible offer.
Anne

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 05:10:29 pm »
Thank you all for your imput!
Great advice Loosey, great to hear your experiences too.
Oooh please could you post some pictures 'Daisys mum' ?? :)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 04:44:16 pm »
HI,
       I think when it boils down to it that every horse is an individual in their own right! ive had a cob that was a loony!! a TB cross that was as soft as muck,and an Irish Draught that put me off the breed for life(unfortunatly)as i was in love with the breed as a teenager!

As far as arabs go i nearly bought a black filly some years back,even as a foal she struck out and pranced around..so i put a deposit on her straight away!!lol she was fab,stunning full of character but fiery hot!she would of been fun..but sadly that sale fell through but i still wish to this day that i had her!

I now just have shetlands.....its like owning a herd of multi coloured sheep!!they are escapologists and have great temperments..i have 9 and counting as my new colt comes tomorrow!

good luck finding your sole mate im sure you'll find what your looking for.x.x.x :horse: ;) :horse:
'can't rain all the time!'

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS