Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing with one way entrance  (Read 7197 times)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Fencing with one way entrance
« on: March 01, 2021, 04:26:08 pm »
We are thinking about renewing all our fencing with hog wire and then chicken mesh at the bottom because the current fence is failing at keeping foxes out

We are thinking about one way entrances at various points because we want rabbits and such entering but then not leaving

A bit like the entrance to a lobster crab pot non escape

I know baby foxes could possibly get through even a small hole but I doubt they would survive long separate from their mother

Has anybody heard of this before

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Fencing with one way entrance
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 04:48:53 pm »
Foxes will dig under chicken wire, unless you bury it a foot underground with a mini digger. They'll also go up and over it without too much bother.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:26:22 am by Dan »

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 06:17:32 pm »
Foxes will dig under chicken wire, unless you bury it a foot underground with a mini digger. They?ll also go up and over it without too much bother.

What about electric fencing?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 07:33:00 pm »
Definitely wouldn't rely on it. They will find a way through/over/under.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 06:25:27 am »
I think foxes can run and jump/scramble up a 6ft fence so I don't think you can keep them out?

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 07:15:00 am »
I think foxes can run and jump/scramble up a 6ft fence so I don't think you can keep them out?

Yes this is the biggest problem

I wonder if many fox traps would be able to keep the numbers down?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 12:19:42 pm »
A fox will get over, under any barrier provided it can see a way back out. How about angled wiring at the top - angled outwards with an electric wire strung through it. And the chicken wire dug down underground.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 04:36:36 pm »
It seems to me Orinlooper that from "What is the easiest animal to keep? I just want a rabbit or 2 for the pot and to make some broth". to your plans for 100s of guinea pigs in an enclosed fox proof area  - is a massive leap away from your original plans and aims.  :thinking:  Am really interested in how these plans for guinea pig ranching will turn out. In the meantime, I'm sure many of us have learnt a lot about guinea pigs. :idea:
Just saying  . . . and looking forward to the next episode. :sunshine: [size=78%]    [/size]

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 09:48:30 pm »
The first step is market research!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 11:52:26 pm »
I wasn't even slightly interested in guinea pigs until Landroverroy used the word 'ranch'.

Now I totally want a guinea pig ranch. Even just so I can declare my profession as 'guinea pig rancher' on the next census  ;D .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 05:13:04 am »
I think high quality food from good calories will be the next currency and if you can grow your own food then you can print your own currency

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 07:28:48 am »
I think high quality food from good calories will be the next currency and if you can grow your own food then you can print your own currency

Hardly think this works with Guinea pigs .....  do you really think you can persude the UK pubic to eat Guinea pig?  If so then dogs or cats would be much easier to keep.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 08:34:44 am »
We are thinking about renewing all our fencing with hog wire and then chicken mesh at the bottom because the current fence is failing at keeping foxes out

We are thinking about one way entrances at various points because we want rabbits and such entering but then not leaving

A bit like the entrance to a lobster crab pot non escape

I know baby foxes could possibly get through even a small hole but I doubt they would survive long separate from their mother

Has anybody heard of this before

Am I correct in thinking that you want wild rabbits to come in but not be able to get out? Isn't that potentially very distressing for a rabbit and a bio security risk to the rabbits in your pen? And distressing for any other wild animal that gets caught inside? Wont the rabbits eventually bury out?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 03:21:39 pm »
I have to be honest here.  I don't have much expertise in looking after animals other than cats, dogs(I judge those), hens and quail, but I think Orinlooper has even less !!!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 03:45:11 pm »
I'm switching off because I just cannot understand why, Orinlooper, you are thinking about renewing fencing just to bag a few wild rabbits.  Sorry, but your various threads/posts are just not stacking up for me.  Orinlooper, get real, save yourself some money and hassle over the long term (and save the rest of us from pondering over your schemes) and go buy pre-butchered meat - that will be THE/YOUR easiest way to keep animals !!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 11:35:53 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS