Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lone gelding to live with mare?  (Read 4557 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Lone gelding to live with mare?
« on: March 12, 2021, 04:29:57 pm »
Okay, next question.

The current potential companion is a gelding, still ridable but an older boy.  Ideal so far.  But... He's been in one home since 2 years old, and not had other equine company in all that time.

Floss isn't a pushy mare, so will be happy for the new boy to be Boss Pony (as Davy is, except when she's mareish...  They really are like an old married couple. ::) :hugpony:  :love: :horse:  )

I have had experience of a mature gelding coming to live with 3 mares (one of them Flossie) and a gelding (Davy), and being such an a***h*l* he had to be put on his own next door.  Then he wrecked the ground all along the fenceline, so in the end we put the bossiest of the mares in with him and that worked. 

Well there won't be any options here; he will get on with Flossie or he will go back or be sold on.  (Neither of which are good options.)

Thoughts?  Any ideas on how we might reduce the risk that they can't settle together?  He's literally hundreds of miles away, so moving either pony to be with the other for a trial period potentially means 2 excessive journeys for no good outcome.

Is my one and only bad experience of bringing a gelding to live an existing herd a typical story?  Is it more likely that they will settle as just a pair? 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Lone gelding to live with mare?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 07:26:32 pm »

With only the two the pecking order should be sorted out quickly with no ganging up. There is always the chance they wont get on but you have that risk with any two ponies. I have always had more mares than geldings and mine had to live and work together daily. I have very few problems mixing new ponies in over 20 years plus. When I have had a problem it was a major one and basically the trouble maker had to go back as they upset the others too much.

My worry would be that you could travel hundreds of miles with a trailer and not like the pony. Does he load and travel? It will be a big upheaval to move hundreds of miles and suddenly have company but hopefully he will appreciate Flossie. I don't think there is anything you can do to minimise problems before he arrives other than maybe see if he could be introduced to another pony locally to give you an idea of how he might take to a new equine friend. Perhaps ridden out together as a start?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 11:53:55 pm »
Thanks harmony.  Insightful advice as usual  :-*

The distance is a nuisance and no mistake.  But in looking at lots of options it is very clear to me that Fells make my heart flip like no other equines do, so given how much work they are, I think I would be wise to take my own advice (originally from BH) and "Buy something you like the look of, because you are going to have to go out in all weathers to look after it, so it really helps if you like what you see when you get there"!  And at present, most of the mature, ridable Fells (that I can afford) available are in the north of England - perhaps not surprisingly, as that's their home ground.

I will certainly ask the owner many more questions before making any commitment in terms of travel to see him, let alone transport him.  She did some events with him in his younger days, so he is - or was - used to being loaded, and I would expect her to do a bit of refreshing on this score before we expect him to be moved.

And yes, good idea to ask how he is if they meet other horses out on rides, and would there be any horses nearby he could have a meet up - across a fence at first - with to see how he behaves. 

I have no idea what to expect really, when he's been in one home and one situation for so long.  It will be a massive upheaval for him, and no-one and nothing familiar at the new place.  I am aware of the irony that I will basically be doing to this pony what I couldn't contemplate doing to Flossie, who is only a very few years older...  But that is the owner's choice, she would rather have him in a home where he is used while he still has active years in front of him, and then retirement in the same home. 

But he will be coming to a home where he will get kind and considerate handling from experienced people who will genuinely care about his emotional wellbeing as well as the physical, so I hope he will find that, plus Flossie as a fieldmate, a good situation to be in, once he's adapted to the change.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 08:42:09 am »
I like Fells too! Yes, I completely agree with your sentiment about getting something you like the look of etc.

Distance doesn't bother me either.

Have you thought about talking to the Fell Pony Society to see if there was anyone local who might visit it for you just to get an idea of it's personality, manners, outlook?  Or I might know someone. Feel free to message me.

I'm also a believer in that things often happen because they are meant to so if you are meant to have this pony it will happen and it will be a good thing all round.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 01:50:08 pm »
We took on a pony that had lived alone for many years.  It was a mare and she did not know how to live with other horses.  It was as if she could not speak or understand the language so was frightened and agressive at times.  After a couple of years in a steady herd she was happy enough but still did not go near strange horses that arrived.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS