Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home Butchering - Where to Start?  (Read 1824 times)

Ratcatcher

• Joined Oct 2020
Home Butchering - Where to Start?
« on: March 24, 2021, 12:37:42 pm »
As per title, im looking for pointers in how to do this as the lack of 'decent' local abattoirs has left us facing a dilemma.  Were going to take a break from pigs this year, mainly due to the experience of CK meats/Bramfields and explore our options so im hoping for some pointers in how to butcher the pigs ourselves.  Both in practical and legislative terms.  As far as i can see, theres 3 stages:

1) Dispatching of animal
2) Pre-butchering - internals/blood/offal/removal of hair
3) Main Butchering inc. sausages etc.

Does this seem about right?  Step 1 is more or less sorted as i have a FAC and the means to dispatch quickly.  Step 3 is a work in progress with us both signed up for courses, although our local butcher says hes still happy to take in the carcass and butcher it as required.  So what about step 2, in particular the hair?

Any tips/advice/pointers?
Thanks in advance!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Home Butchering - Where to Start?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 12:10:30 pm »
Stage 2 - I assume people send the waste with the deadstock guys but perhaps you should contact them.
Hair removal is just hard work as far as I can see. You could reduce your work a bit by buying modern breeds rather than traditional, which tend to have less and finer hair. As you will only be able to eat them yourselves then you might not be bothered about coloured hairs but you might want to consider white pigs rather than coloured. And I wouldn't finish outdoors and over winter.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 07:17:47 am »
as to legislation ....  you cannot sell or give away any meat from a home butchered animal
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 11:18:57 am »

Re 1) Do not underestimate how much a pig weighs. We have home killed sheep before, and we had a real job getting them strung up ready for step 2. Remember you really can't lift very much above head height, so make sure you have a strong, high beam, and some sort of block and tackle.

Re 2) You could always skin them.  It depends on how much you want crackling.

For 3) That splits down into getting the primary cuts (e.g. quartering), then butchery of individual joints, then making sausages, bacon etc.

We had one of our pigs back from the abattoir whole and then did the butchery ourselves, for our own consumption. It's really nothing to be afraid of, and unlike at slaughter, as long as everything is kept clean, you can't really do any harm.

Youtube is your friend! There are loads of great videos on there which cover how to do butcher a pig, and show all of the different steps and options.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS