Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to sheep  (Read 997 times)

The sheep whisperer

• Joined Jan 2021
New to sheep
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:06:50 pm »
Hi all new to the forum and to keeping sheep. I’m based Hampshire Berkshire Surrey borders and wondered if there’s anybody out there in these areas that would /could help me get some hands on lambing experience? Plus any other relevant things.
As I’m hoping to expand my small flock in the future. I started out with 6 and have just had my first experience of taking them to the abattoir, done some dagging and foot trimming etc.
Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: New to sheep
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 10:53:24 pm »
I'm way too far away (in North Cornwall) but just wanted to say I hope you connect with someone more local to you.  You've started exactly the way we always advise, and your next step is a good one too :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 11:08:39 pm »
Hello and welcome [member=210079]The sheep whisperer[/member] .  Have you chosen a particular breed of sheep, or are you doing your learning on whatever you could find? We are not lambing this coming spring because of the uncertainties and you wouldn't get much experience with lambing problems with our Hebrideans, as they so rarely have any (problems)!  :hugsheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

The sheep whisperer

• Joined Jan 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 03:59:54 pm »
Started with what was fairly local and available, crossbreeds ,it’s all worked out well so far.
Like the idea of Hampshire’s, rye lands , and Wiltshire but not sure about horns .!!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 04:40:26 pm »

Totally sensible, and as you gain in confidence you will perhaps learn to love a particular breed enough to keep them.

Horns can have their downside definitely.  The pic by my name is a long gone lad called 'Laughing Boy' and you can see what amazing horns he had, all four of them.  But he was so gentle with them and was very non-scary.  Polled sheep ie no horns, were bred for a very good reason though so don't feel you're chickening out by not having horned sheep  :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 04:43:41 pm »
i can advocate for Wiltshire Horns,

good native sheep, very hardy, clean shedding, Good feet and raise some good lambs, and the meat has a wonderful flavour.
They really are an easy care option even with the horns
In fact i spent all day yesterday building an extra field shelter in the freezing conditionsonly to turn up this morning and they was sat under the hedge.
Ive not had flystrike since ive had them, where as the Ryelands seemed to get it at the drop of a hat.
but thats not giving ryelands a bad name you just need to be on top of it in the warm weather.

This year i bought a Hampshire Tup to cover some of the Wiltshire Horns so looking forward to see how they turn out.

good luck and hope you get some Lambing sorted.
any questions around the the Wilts feel free to message me

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:56:08 pm by Bramham Wiltshire Horns »
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 07:07:43 am »
Like the idea of Hampshire’s, rye lands , and Wiltshire but not sure about horns .!!!!

Can recommend Hampshire’s, very tasty meat and lambs generally do well. Very good social side to the Society which was something I’d not appreciated prior to getting the breed.............well, maybe not in the current climate but hopefully to get back to some normality soon :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS