Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: G7 2021 - why Cornwall ?  (Read 9476 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
G7 2021 - why Cornwall ?
« on: January 21, 2021, 12:34:31 am »
Any thoughts on the subject question ? 

(And how many Cornish pasties or portions of fish & chips will the G7 attendees consume I wonder !?  "Mr Biden, Sir - sorry to keep you waiting in the queue;  would you like vinegar on your order and would you also like to add mushy peas?" ...  "Well, I reckon vinegar would be OK, but I'm a little concerned about anything considered to be mushy right now so I guess I'll pass on the peas to avoid giving the media something to play with." ) 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 01:27:36 am by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: G7 2021 - why Cornwall ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 01:52:08 am »

Why not?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:58:35 am »
I'm not sure what a G7 Conference entails, but is Cornwall's infrastructure able to cope?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 12:19:42 pm »
I even wonder about Glasgow's ability to cope with the climate change one  :innocent:  does Glasgow know what climate change is?  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
(I'm half Glaswegian by the way  ;D)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 11:03:54 pm »
Why not?

While I sort of agree about "why not", I also believe Cornwall has had quite enough media coverage in recent times.  One of the hot topics at the mo' is the continuing and EVER INCREASING/RELENTLESS number of nationwide enquires about homes for sale here.  Thankfully, at least one Cornish estate agent is now rejecting enquires from anyone looking for a 2nd-home (as opposed to a new main residence) during lock-down !!

Excuse me, but we don't need "you" buying up our homes and we definitely don't need "you" bringing your Covid infection with you (across the country) just to view a potential 2nd-home !!

And now we (in particular, the Penwith peninsula) will suffer further global exposure while places like St Ives (Carbis Bay) have already had to introduce by-laws preventing new homes becoming 2nd-homes to ensure at least some locals are still able to live there !!! >:(

Joe Biden "Boris, would it be possible to meet with a Cornish person with a proper (ha!) Cornish accent ?" ... "Well, Joe, I can't promise, but there are still a few old codgers calling in to Radio Cornwall so the great BBC might be able to help us find a real one somewhere in this neck of the woods for you to talk to."
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 12:35:36 am by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 11:29:48 pm »

I do see your point.  Perhaps Leicestershire or Norfolk would have been better and could do with the publicity.  Even 49 years ago when we visited Cornwall on our honeymoon, we were horrified at how crowded the tiny, high-banked lanes were and I know it's many times worse now.  The thought of a giant mega-carriageway going right through the middle to relieve congestion doesn't bear thinking about, so perhaps don't complain too loudly  :o
I love the idea of Cornwall because one of my Grandfathers came from there (I think a small village called Trevenna) and it sounds so romatic, but because of the crowds I think I shall never visit again.  It would be lovely to live there for the great growing conditions in some areas, but truly we are in Scotland to stay, my husband's native country, so just keep your crowds down there  :roflanim:   :coat:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:32:22 pm by Fleecewife »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 07:21:00 am »
I wish Scotland would do a bit (lot) more about second homes and letting properties.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 12:34:59 pm »
I wish Scotland would do a bit (lot) more about second homes and letting properties.

Yes and that's a problem about opening up the Highlands to small farmers - Scotland would have to have legislation in place first that they could not become second homes.  Wales in the '70s had huge problems with second homes, which protesters burned down.  It shows the depth of feeling, and I'm sure those in Cornwall feel as strongly, but really nowhere needs the disruption caused by protest.  Why do people need second homes, which stand empty for large parts of the year? Even time share is better than that (possibly), although it's still taking away affordable housing from those who work locally and want to live near their work.  In a way we feel like newcomers here, even though we only moved about 30 miles down the road from Edinburgh 25 years ago and are definitely here for the long haul. I was originally English until I married a Scot at 20, and I have lived here for far longer than most native born Scots, if you think about it (me being a bit ancient and all)
I was born and grew up in Norfolk and we went through a similar thing in the 60s and 70s, with people moving out from London and buying up every house in Norfolk, so local folk couldn't afford to buy anywhere. They brought money with them, renovated all the old housing, drove big fat cars and filled the rural schools to overflowing.  Then the money went and suddenly we noticed (as visitors to rellies by then) that the previously renovated houses were starting to look dilapidated, no-one had bought a new car for years so there were plenty of old bangers around, and the local population was by then made up of the children of those previous immigrants, for whom Norfolk was by then home (minus the true Norfolk accent, which has become a sort of London-cum-Norfolk mish-mash).  Currently I think Peterborough has become the new New Town for East Anglia with easy access from London via the A1.
So it's all a repeating pattern which different parts of the country experience at different times and to different extents.
I am sorry Cornwall is getting it all now and I hope G7 isn't the last straw.
In fact I think that as far as Scotland goes, many of the true incomers, as opposed to second home owners, have brought new life and a good work ethic to the country, to replace all those who left for America in the 'brain drain'.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 02:19:05 pm »
In general I find that Cornwall residents recognise the region's dependancy on tourism and are very welcoming of incomers, second homers and tourists alike.

The first lockdown caused angst with second home owners coming down from places with far higher infection rates to do their lockdown at the country cottage.  It wasn't the people per se who were not welcome, it was any disease they might bring with them, and a fear that our (frankly rather paltry) medical infrastructure could soon be overwhelmed if incoming second home owners then required hospitalisation.

Yes there is always the downside of the inflated house prices when city folks are buying second homes in rural places.  Over the years there have been adjustments in how Council Tax is handled on second homes, which helps, and most multiple dwelling developments will be required to include a number of "affordable homes".  Some schemes include restrictions on occupancy of same to people who have lived locally for some years.  There is a lot more to do in all of these areas (which is becoming harder with the current central government's attachment to reduced planning intervention) but the situation is considerably better than it was 30 years ago.

As to G7 coming to Cornwall, I have assumed that it will bring welcome publicity to the stunningly beautiful area, income to our beleaguered hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions, and also provide a topical backdrop to any discussions the G7 may have about fishing, rural issues, etc etc. 

I am guessing they will be flying in and out of Newquay, so will have minimal impact on our highways infrastructure.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 04:16:48 pm »
In my mind there's a difference between a house bought as letting properties that are occupied maybe 40 / 45 weks of the year and what I would call a second home, which is occupied by one or two families for a few weeks and weekends through the year. Of course this has been the scourge of Scotland (well, maybe one of them) for centuries as the aristos left their London abodes for the shooting in August for a few months until the London Season began. Still goes on.

We're thankfully starting to build more genuine social housing but we have a huge catch up to make. WE couldbuild fewer houses if folk just had one.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 08:21:22 pm »
In my mind there's a difference between a house bought as letting properties that are occupied maybe 40 / 45 weks of the year and what I would call a second home, which is occupied by one or two families for a few weeks and weekends through the year. Of course this has been the scourge of Scotland (well, maybe one of them) for centuries as the aristos left their London abodes for the shooting in August for a few months until the London Season began. Still goes on.

We're thankfully starting to build more genuine social housing but we have a huge catch up to make. WE couldbuild fewer houses if folk just had one.

Re lettings:  helps much if the letter is local and spending ill-earned gains in the local area;  not so good if the letter is spending their rental income remotely in say London, France or Spain etc. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:20:53 pm by arobwk »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 09:45:21 pm »
It's easy to forget that when "the locals" sold their family homes they didn't ask if the buyer was going to live there. They just thanked them for the money.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 09:47:08 pm »
It's easy to forget that when "the locals" sold their family homes they didn't ask if the buyer was going to live there. They just thanked them for the money.

Actually, many do, and won't sell to people who aren't planning on becoming participative in the local community.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Vile Traveller

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 11:41:44 pm »
I'm not sure what a G7 Conference entails, but is Cornwall's infrastructure able to cope?
Should be ideal, the delegates can fly in while protestors will have trouble getting there overland.  :thinking:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 11:46:36 pm »
If many do then why is it that so many places have a high percentage of second homes and holiday lets and all the associated, well documented issues of the problems that creates?

Also what someone tells you and what happens in reality are two different things. On my lane, 7 properties, two were sold to people who said they would be living here. Twenty years on and they still don't live here. Both holiday lets.

In the village there are many second home owners who are participative in the local community but only when they are here  :thinking:  They are also the ones who protested the loudest when there was applications to build affordable houses for local people.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS