Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best crops for pig feed?  (Read 2623 times)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Best crops for pig feed?
« on: January 17, 2021, 10:21:43 am »
You can breed the pigs and buy the corn and get on. You can raise the corn and buy the pigs and get on. If you buy the corn and buy the pigs to feed, you haven't got a chance. But, if you breed the pigs and raise the corn, you'll make money." — Louis Bromfield.

What else apart from corn will grow in abundance and easy for pig feed?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Best crops for pig feed?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 11:03:57 am »
I don't think anyone has ever come up with the answer to this one. And it gets asked all the time. Pig food is made from straights but most people don't have enough ground, the equipment (for production and harvesting) or storage to grow their own pig food. Larger farmers may have their own supply of straights as a consequence of other things they do but I don't know anyone who grows 100% of their pig food. People supplement their pigs diet with homegrown vegetables, waste milk, eggs and they give them variety through keeping them outdoors.

Watching replies with interest.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 07:50:06 am »
In Poland people grow specific varieties of potatoes just to feed pigs - and that's what they mostly feed.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 09:06:11 am »
In Poland people grow specific varieties of potatoes just to feed pigs - and that's what they mostly feed.

That's interesting Macro as advice here is that more than 25% of a pig ration should be potatoes. They should be cooked otherwise pigs can't digest the starch.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 05:41:14 pm »
Yes thats right. Every farmer/smallholder in Poland has thus steamer kind of machine thats steam cooks potstoes to pigs.
Most  people who keep pigs feed them only (or at least mostly?) Home grown potatoes.
So i read...
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 07:33:20 am »
You can breed the pigs and buy the corn and get on. You can raise the corn and buy the pigs and get on. If you buy the corn and buy the pigs to feed, you haven't got a chance. But, if you breed the pigs and raise the corn, you'll make money." — Louis Bromfield.

Pigs are omnivores and as such need protein .....    you really can not get round feeding commercial pig feed if you want them to fatten.... and swill cooking is I understand now not legal in tis country
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 08:54:26 am »

Pigs are omnivores and as such need protein .....    you really can not get round feeding commercial pig feed if you want them to fatten.... and swill cooking is I understand now not legal in tis country

I agree that if you want a decent finished carcase then commercial pig food is the best option or mixing your own from quality straights. There is no reason why you can't cook potatoes or boil barley etc as long as it is not done in your house and you must not feed meat in any form.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS