Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drawstring for haynets  (Read 5104 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Drawstring for haynets
« on: January 03, 2021, 08:21:20 pm »
I have 4 perfectly serviceable haynets, but on 3 of them the drawstring is kaput. That’s the only thing wrong with them.

I have made temporary drawstrings by plaiting baler twine (of course!), but they are not really long enough, not if you like to feed the string through the bottom ring of the haynet, which I do.

What do others use for a replacement drawstring?  I've looked on rope-and-twine websites and am bamboozled by the array of products, and not sure which to try.  They mostly come in 1kg rolls, so I'd prefer to get the right thing!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
Re: Drawstring for haynets
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 09:12:50 pm »
I use a reel of blue rope , I'm sure it came from a BT engineer that they use to get cables thro underground ducting. This is ideal.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 09:57:05 pm »
I use a reel of blue rope , I'm sure it came from a BT engineer that they use to get cables thro underground ducting. This is ideal.

Hmm, they sell blue rope by the metre at our local agri merchant, so that is interesting.

What thickness is it that you use?  I have looked at the rope at Maunders and thought it looked too thick to work for haynets and slip knots.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 11:44:38 pm »
Why are you plaiting the bale cord?  Get Hesston bale cord (the thicker version) and just cut to length.  Para-cord would be another option (the stuff they use for halters and/or lambing ropes).  You want something strong and flexible but not heavy for that job!

Well, I use the baler strings we have, so that's the regular stuff, and it needs plaited for the job.

I found some paracord at a reasonable price, but I can't find any that will be delivered in less than three weeks!

A friend sent me a link to some 4mm rope https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOLA-Polypropylene-Braided-Climbing-Yachting/dp/B019CVLZAG?th=1&psc=1 - any good, do you think?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 05:05:32 am »
Washing line. Cotton not the plastic coated stuff.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 11:33:02 am »
Sally, the Amazon link looks fine, but since you'll be using this rope to carry, I'd go for 5 or 6mm diameter so it doesn't cut into your hands.  As SD says, Paracord is good, and available from Ebay.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 05:35:23 pm »
Thanks, [member=2128]Womble[/member].  That felt like good advice, have ordered the one you linked and should have it by Friday :)

£8.10 including postage, and long enough to re-string 6 haynets, I think :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 07:16:57 pm »
Thanks, [member=2128]Womble[/member].  That felt like good advice, have ordered the one you linked and should have it by Friday :)

£8.10 including postage, and long enough to re-string 6 haynets, I think :)

it came on Thursday, and yes, 6mm would be a minimum diameter I think.  I fixed up the 3 haynets with good long (very long) strings and have enough left for one more.  I could have got away with a bit shorter and got 5 or even 6 out of the length, but I like to go through the bottom ring, so when the net is very full you do need quite a bit of string to reach and have enough to make a safe slip knot. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS