Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: broccoli and cauliflower  (Read 2390 times)

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
broccoli and cauliflower
« on: January 11, 2021, 12:24:49 pm »
How do i stop cauliflower from 'splitting' and broccoli from going to flower before they are useable?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: broccoli and cauliflower
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 12:29:43 pm »
If you tell us your current growing methods perhaps we can identify where you are going wrong?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 12:34:35 pm »
no hard and fast 'method' . Plant some in pots then transplant in the garden. Plant some straight into the garden, plant some in pots and transplant into polytunnel (later in the year), plant some straight into beds in the poly tunnel(again, later in the year). The only successful ones were the caulis that were put in pots and transplanted in the polytunnel.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 01:14:38 pm »
I have found that timing is absolutely essential - leave them in their pots a few extra days and that has a knock-on effect on subsequent growth.  Leave them in a couple of weeks too long and they may well not succeed at all.  Similarly, if you start the seeds in a tray, then pot them up very promptly at the 2 seedleaf plus two true leaf stage, with no check, and sow the seed sparingly so not crowded. I usually start mine in modules so there is no transplant check.

The pot size and the compost used will also have an effect - I use 4" pots and add a little extra FYM to the pot.
You need your plants to be growing very strongly, with no check from forgetting to water one day, and no check to root growth by the pots being too small.  Also no check from a big temp difference when planting out.  Ideally cauliflowers need a totally smooth growing pattern with plenty of nutrients and plenty of space.

Where we are it's very cold so planting outside hasn't worked so far for me - in the tunnel with adequate space between plants gives the only useful result for us.

I haven't had splitting as a problem but when a head has failed to develop it has been because of one of the factors above. I don't grow heading broccoli, just the winter sprouting kind which is usually problem free.

Perhaps try a different variety, or try a couple for comparison
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:19:16 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 03:57:14 am »
Hi there,
Bolting too early in Brassicas is usually caused by a temperature shock for  example planting out too soon.
Splitting is usually caused by excess water after the head has formed.
You might find changing varieties helps, some of the shorter cycling varieties might be more resilient. I use Calabrese Marathon and Cauli Boris and rarely have a problem.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 04:13:55 pm »
Agree with FW that any check to their development from sowing onwards is a big factor in cauliflowers bolting. Bear in mind that once the head fully develops it will start opening out. You can’t leave them in the ground like cabbage. To add to Terry’s recommendations White Excel is consistently good in my sandy soil.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 06:21:57 pm »
 and Cauli Boris.

now I wonder where cauli "Boris" got its name from...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS