Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Angora Goat bedding advice required  (Read 1224 times)

hartgj

• Joined Nov 2020
Angora Goat bedding advice required
« on: November 29, 2020, 02:35:44 pm »
Hi,
We are enjoying keeping four Angora Goats (wethers) this year for the first time (since February). All is going well, they have been living outside in the good weather with access to a field shelter at all times. Our plan for winter was to make use of an existing horse stable and bring them in at sunset for a warmer night. They seem happy with this arrangement so far, running into the stable each evening (knowing they will be fed !).
The stable has a concrete floor with no drainage to speak of. I have laid rubber stable matting on the concrete with tight joints. I then have been putting down a wood shavings layer (Huntsman/Megaspread) and then Straw. I also have started to use a horse litter conditioner having been recommended to use this (Sirocco) sprinkling this on the rubber first and then a bit more through the bedding.
After a week the ammonia smell is noticeable. The stable is well ventilated at chest level upwards. The lads are coming out most days into the field, only keeping them in if the forecast is really poor.
So sorry for the long ramble, should I be using a lime product for neutralising the ammonia or am I doing something wrong? I was hoping to avoid a weekly muck out during the winter but if thats required then of course that will be done.
I guess the simple answer would be to let them spend the full year outdoors with a shelter but this seems harsh?

Thanks for any advice given.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS