Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoirs Suffolk-Norfolk Area  (Read 3153 times)

Ratcatcher

• Joined Oct 2020
Abattoirs Suffolk-Norfolk Area
« on: October 28, 2020, 12:28:47 pm »
Hi all,

For the last 3 years we've been using CK Meats to slaughter our pigs but unfortunately since selling out to a major German firm the place has become far too commercial for my liking.  They used to have a specific small holders day but last week i was the only one with a small trailer queuing up with all the huge lorries.  Also, as all the logistics are now handled by Bramfields, the experience was even further soured (another story).   

Unfortunately our options seem limited and Blakes in Norfolk or JE Howards in Kings Lynn are our next nearest places.

Does anybody have any experience with them?

Edit:  Just read the Howards website and they shut the abattoir early this year.  This is getting ridiculous!!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:32:31 pm by Ratcatcher »

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: Abattoirs Suffolk-Norfolk Area
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 01:01:34 pm »
Howards have closed their abattoir, but remain a butcher. We have just used Leech and Son in Melbourn, Herts. But we are in West Suffolk so just 45 minutes drive. Our experience with Blakes was fine but they only slaughter so they need to send the carcass on to a butcher they deliver to.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 01:03:58 pm by PK »

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 07:08:25 am »
Since C&K closure we’ve used Blake’s at Norwich and Humphreys in Chelmsford. Both a lot less commercial (not that was ever a problem - C&K was efficient it has to be said, a crying shame the business changed), Humphreys don’t grade though.
Regarding the carcasses, can recommend Palfrey & Hall high enough for cutting & packing
http://www.palfreyandhall.co.uk/

Ratcatcher

• Joined Oct 2020
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 08:48:25 am »
Thanks,  i'll look into Blakes for next year. 

Im really disappointed with the current industry though.  The experience of last week with a broken paperwork trail (chinese export license anybody?) meant my pigs were more than likely stressed by the time i finally got them into the holding pen.  I have no confidence that the meat will be the quality it should be and it just ruined the whole experience after spending 8 months rearing them in the absolute best way possible.

Bramfields are now in my target sights and im meeting trading standards next week.  The very least i can do is ruin their day.  Absolute shambles and completely arrogant with it as well the so called duty of care ethos is a joke.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 12:07:25 pm »
We've used Blakes with the carcasses collected by our butcher, but also have used Arthur Howell up at Wells next the Sea where the animals are killed and cut all on site. He can only offer a service to smallholders as the access is so limited large lorries cant get in there. It's a lovely little place and the staff are really helpful and friendly. Animals are moved through quickly because they are all little loads - only a few pigs or sheep at a time so no waiting behind monster lorryloads.
But I guess might be a tad far for you to go.

Ratcatcher

• Joined Oct 2020
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 08:47:21 am »
We've used Blakes with the carcasses collected by our butcher, but also have used Arthur Howell up at Wells next the Sea where the animals are killed and cut all on site. He can only offer a service to smallholders as the access is so limited large lorries cant get in there. It's a lovely little place and the staff are really helpful and friendly. Animals are moved through quickly because they are all little loads - only a few pigs or sheep at a time so no waiting behind monster lorryloads.
But I guess might be a tad far for you to go.

Thanks.  Howells sounds like the ideal place but as you say its a bit far for us to travel.  How would you rate Blakes?

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 01:17:24 pm »
I've not been there in person. Our butcher picks the animals up from our holding. He is obviously very much a regular there so gets priority service and says he gets to go straight in but I have heard from others that it can be a long (and potentially stressful) wait if you get stuck behind several large lorryloads. But people in our smallholding group have given them good reviews.
 Tbh if I still had use of a trailer I would use Arthur Howells despite them being a bit further away from me than Blakes, because I like the staff and the set up. But since losing access to a trailer we've had to rethink our slaughter arrangements.

Ratcatcher

• Joined Oct 2020
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 08:09:45 am »
Since C&K closure we’ve used Blake’s at Norwich and Humphreys in Chelmsford. Both a lot less commercial (not that was ever a problem - C&K was efficient it has to be said, a crying shame the business changed), Humphreys don’t grade though.
Regarding the carcasses, can recommend Palfrey & Hall high enough for cutting & packing

Update, weve had our cured meat back from palfrey and hall and i have to say its excellent.  This really is in a different league to Bramfields and therefore another reason to never go back to those arrogant incompentents.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 08:35:12 am »

Update, weve had our cured meat back from palfrey and hall and i have to say its excellent.  This really is in a different league to Bramfields and therefore another reason to never go back to those arrogant incompentents.
I’m glad my recommendation worked out well :bow:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS