Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: R80 Spotlight Bulbs  (Read 1909 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
R80 Spotlight Bulbs
« on: November 03, 2021, 08:35:11 am »
Wasnt sure where to shove this post!

Due to the dogs epilepsy, all my beloved cool white or day light leds have been switched over to warm white (yuck!).

But, my bedroom has R80 Led equivalent and putting these on at night when dog in midst of fit, for light, is not wise. Has anyone put NORMAL screw in led bulbs in these kind of mounts and not had a problem?

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: R80 Spotlight Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 05:32:18 pm »
Not entirely sure I've understood what you're asking, but if you're are wanting to put normal (as in NOT reflector) LED E27 screwcap lamps in place of R80 LED reflector lamps (also E27 screwcap), then there should be no problem. I'm guessing they're recessed in the ceiling downlights so you will lose a bit of the light that goes up into the ceiling of course.

If you mean going back to incandescent lamps instead of LEDs, then the R80 fitting should be designed for the extra heat as they're an old design that predates LED lamps.

I know little of epilepsy - is it the colour of the light that's the issue or that some LED's 'strobe' - i.e. they go on and off 100 times per second? If the latter, you could try different LED's as the non-dimmable, better quality LED drivers store more energy to keep the LED lit during the zero crossing of the A.C. supply

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Re: R80 Spotlight Bulbs
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 08:55:21 pm »
Not entirely sure I've understood what you're asking, but if you're are wanting to put normal (as in NOT reflector) LED E27 screwcap lamps in place of R80 LED reflector lamps (also E27 screwcap), then there should be no problem.

Yes, that's what I meant, normal led screw lights, not reflector. They are the older spotlight type, ceiling mount and then individual spotlight.

Re the epilepsy, with Flo we find she isn't sensitive to flickering, but bright light is seen as a stimulant and I learnt from the start, less light. But we're an older house with beams and low ceilings so less light = dull. She can however tolerate softer light and we can manage with that.  What currently works is a floor light either end of one of the rooms, running a 5w led. Dull! But easy for her and enough for me to see to "tubes" if necessary! (Joys of dogs with special needs!) Oh, she doesn't like certain tones, rings and cant stand whistling! And if she hears a fly buzzing, she's gone! She's also half Rottweiler so she's "really tough!" But we love her!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS