Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trailers  (Read 1839 times)

My Way 2020

• Joined Apr 2020
Trailers
« on: September 26, 2021, 06:28:45 pm »
Hi All
I have a question on trailers and there suitability.
I need a general purpose trailer with netting sides that will occasionally carry pigs / sheep ,l would like an 8X4 or 5ft drop side with a long ramp or would this be to high as the wheels are underneath the body. Alternatively I could go for a none drop side with wheels on either side of the body therefore making it lower.
Has any body here had this issue? Or am I over thinking this.
This will be my first trailer and my first sheep and pigs.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Re: Trailers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 08:06:10 pm »
We have the 8 foot model of this:

CLH Trailers

Very happy with it for pigs and general use - very versatile

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 08:53:59 pm »
Our trailer which has lasted for about 20 years so far is almost identical to gribinslaf's. Don't forget that there are rules about the kind of trailer you can transport various kinds of livestock in, governing the amount of ventilation, the slope angle they have to negotiate, the materials used, how easy it is to clean, head room and so on.  Sorry I don't have a link, but do some research into that first before investing your money only to find your trailer isn't legal
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 09:57:38 pm »
We have the 8 foot model of this:

CLH Trailers

Very happy with it for pigs and general use - very versatile

Ditto.  Had one on the Cumrbian farm, unhesitatingly sought out the same again down here.  Well-made, incredibly versatile design, sensibly priced.  And livestock, mart and abattoir legal. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

My Way 2020

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 09:10:47 am »
Thank you for help.

LizRH

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 10:08:32 am »
Hello MyWay 2020.  I've just been researching this in detail across farming forums and more, checking out Ifor Williams, Bateson, Edwards, Nugent and CLH. We want braked as this gives us far greater towing load on our 1.4 car than an ubraked, and we feel it is better for our animals (we are also new to sheep and getting pigs).  Although I am aiming at a 7 x 4 rather than 8 x4/5 foot, I have easily concluded that the CLH is best.  Drop sides and ramp, removable (and optional tilting lid with greater height for a bit more money), dividers (not available on all) and strong construction.  I have been in touch with CLH (based in Carmarthen) a few times and they've always been really helpful (and patient) - which is not always the case.  We can also keep the 7 x 4 in our barn/garage - and that's important for security. 

Hope this helps and really pleased to add something to this wonderful forum as usually it's me looking for answers! Liz

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 08:44:01 pm »
Roughly how much are clh the 8x5 live stock trailers iv had a look on ther website but no prices on ? They look like a handy size and versatile with the sides coming off etc

LizRH

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 06:53:42 am »
VFR400boy

I don't know what sort of price that size is - either look up the dealer list on their site and contact one local to you, or contact CLH.  Depends on whether you want unbraked or braked, gates, spare wheel etc . Everything is plus VAT which is painful! :yuck:

The price I've got for the size I'm ordering (7 x 4) is very competitive with the others that size, and has more stuff included as standard such as jockey wheel and dividing gates.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 08:46:54 am »
Yup, will be cheaper than and at least as robust as, and probably more versatile than, the "brand name" competition.  But you can select options, so it's probably not a good idea for any of us to tell you how much ours were, as you would want different options. (Eg, length, jockey wheel or not, braked or not, removable roof or not, ramp or opening door, or small-door-within-ramp, etc.  Not sure whether fixed side panels, internal rear gates, internal removable partition are options or always come as standard.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 06:06:11 pm »
They have just emailed me back and for what I was looking at it was £3600 plus VAT , I think I will have to make do with my home made jobby for a bit longer ha

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 04:36:03 pm »
A good few years ago I was told off by the animal health person at the market that my trialer wasn't legal as it didn't (then) have internal gates.
Assuming they were correct, is there a minimum size for internal gates or do all trailers that carry livestock need to have them ?
It makes sense of course as it's a secondary form of defense should the ramp open on the move

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 04:41:10 pm »
was just checking and found this post on here back in 2015 in answer to a smiliar question

"The trailer DOES have to have gates - it comes under PART 2E – ROAD VEHICLE and TRAILER and CONTAINER SPECIFICATION and GUIDANCE for CONSTRUCTION  of EU regulation 1/2005 which says that you need Barriers to prevent falling when loading/unloading.

if you google
'PART 2E – ROAD VEHICLE and TRAILER and CONTAINER SPECIFICATION and GUIDANCE for CONSTRUCTION' you'll find a link which has all the stuff in it that you can check your trailer against."

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS