Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: doc's and spraying  (Read 8777 times)

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
doc's and spraying
« on: July 06, 2021, 07:02:31 pm »
Hi. one of my fields is over run with DOC'S. I intend to buy an ATV spraying kit. What I need to know is when should I spray (time of year) and what should I spray them with? Any help please. David

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: doc's and spraying
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 08:24:43 pm »
Why not buy some sort of ATV mower instead and keep knocking them back before they produce seed ?!  I doubt the mower will cost much different to a sprayer and you don't really want to be dealing with nasty chemicals.  Just connect up a mower and whizz around without the need for PPE (well, maybe ear protection depending on how noisy your equipment is).The docs will expire idc if you keep at it !

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 11:07:22 am »
I think you’d need to check if you need a license to spray with an atv before you buy one. If you do, then it’d be easier to get a contractor to spray it, they (or their agronomist) will advise what spray you need.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 01:37:05 pm »
Why not buy some sort of ATV mower instead and keep knocking them back before they produce seed ?!  I doubt the mower will cost much different to a sprayer and you don't really want to be dealing with nasty chemicals.  Just connect up a mower and whizz around without the need for PPE (well, maybe ear protection depending on how noisy your equipment is).The docs will expire idc if you keep at it !
I just have a third of an acre but docks everywhere so I'm taking my strimmer to them to chop off the flower heads
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 06:29:52 pm »
You will need your PA1 (pesticides handling) and PA2 (boom spraying) qualifications to spray from a quad.  Even if it's only on your own land.

It may be easier to get a contractor to do it.

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 05:42:55 pm »
Hi,
Thanks all for the feed back. I have a ride on mower and I have use that to mow the field for the passed  eight years in the hope they would go, but sadly no. The license, PA 1 and P A 2 never even crossed my mind. I think it could be time to start looking at sheep or checking the phone book for contractor's.

Many thanks
David

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 07:22:18 pm »
Hi,
Thanks all for the feed back. I have a ride on mower and I have use that to mow the field for the passed  eight years in the hope they would go, but sadly no. The license, PA 1 and P A 2 never even crossed my mind. I think it could be time to start looking at sheep or checking the phone book for contractor's.

Many thanks
David

Sheep don't really like docks much especially once they've started to go to seed, but SD's suggestion of grazing with goats is a good one  :goat:

ps I love the pic of your dog.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS