Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I mix Duck breeds?  (Read 2382 times)

LisaBellamy

• Joined Mar 2015
Can I mix Duck breeds?
« on: October 19, 2020, 04:36:40 pm »
Hi I have 2 Cayuge ducks - a male and female -  that I've had for 8 years and tragically the duck was killed by something today - possibly a dog - and the drake is now all alone (apart from the hens who he doesn't get on with) I intend to find him some friends/mates but would like advice on whether you can mix duck breeds, if Im not able to find any more Cayuges. He's not the friendliest of drakes and is a bit of as grumpy old man now, but I can't leave him by himself. I know I'd have to go for larger size ducks due to his size. What do people think - will it work?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Can I mix Duck breeds?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 05:33:41 pm »
Sorry for your loss...

Butndont worry, why wouldnt it work?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 07:39:08 am »
a drake is a drake ...... he wont care what his ladies look like!  :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

LisaBellamy

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 12:16:59 pm »
Many thanks for the common sense responses! I may have found replacements - just got to persuade my partner that it's worth driving 2 and a half hours to fetch some new girls......!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 12:43:55 pm »
No problem mixing breeds and if they hatch it can be quite fascinating!  :excited: :excited:  Make sure he has plenty of girlfriends though - one isn't enough. I would recommend 3 or 4 at least if you have space
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 04:11:01 pm »
My lockdown-hatched ducks (from ebay eggs!!!!) Just started laying. I wish I knew which on it is though! I hatched khaki Campbell and Hookbill as well.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 11:34:30 am »
How many eggs and how many of each sex, [member=156019]macgro7[/member] ?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 11:53:13 am »
How many eggs and how many of each sex, [member=156019]macgro7[/member] ?
There are 4 ducks and 3 drakes (2 of which will go sneer or later). 1 egg a day so far  :roflanim:
But I'm still amazed by how quickly they start latlying comparing to chickens. Unfortunately the eggs are s**ty!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 01:19:25 pm »
Don't you like duck eggs?  Make cakes with them or sell them. lots of people like them

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 01:53:47 pm »
Don't you like duck eggs?  Make cakes with them or sell them. lots of people like them
No no! I lovenduck eggs! I meant they are dirty as ducks lay them when they sleep!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 10:33:31 pm »
Ah I see, yes they are filthy things but I loved my ducks.  I gave them when I moved to someone I thought was a friend, but circumstances changed so I have no idea if they are still alive nor my 11 hens either.  :'( :'(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS