Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kubota TF60 tractor/cultivator - winter overhaul & rebuild  (Read 2136 times)

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
Kubota TF60 tractor/cultivator - winter overhaul & rebuild
« on: October 03, 2020, 09:37:10 am »
I posted about this machine a few years ago, when I first moved here and still had big plans, but I never got it working properly and other priorities took over so it got shoved under some trees (and sometimes a tarpaulin) until I had time for it. Time has passed, and unlike the years it still isn't rolling! This winter I plan to strip it down and completely overhaul/rebuild it.

This thread might well become a project diary but it's mainly intended to be a call for help/advice/input from anybody who has done a rebuild or significant repairs on a walking tractor of that size. Any input is welcome; engine, rotary mechanism, paint, electrics (not that it has much), drivetrain.

For all that they are a good machine and well regarded by their owners, they simply aren't very common in the English speaking world so I've had to start to translate the manual from French (which was still easier than finding one online in the first place), and I'm expecting parts to be hard enough to find so I'll probably end up making some - fortunately my brother is a very practical engineer with a range of machines and materials.

Although I don't know much about engines, I suspect that will be one of the simpler parts of the project as it can be removed, bench-mounted, and even tested without being fully fitted. There's no shortage of farmers and mechanics around here who will understand what's needed, and are always willing to offer some help. I may even outsource that job.

The easiest job will obviously be the stripping down, followed by repainting, but then comes the complicated bit of figuring out why it wasn't working properly in the first place.

Wish me luck!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Kubota TF60 tractor/cultivator - winter overhaul & rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 10:40:00 am »
I wish you luck with that project Dreich Pete. The only advice I'd give is to establish the fault and fix it first, otherwise you may find you've done a lot of work only discover that a failed part isn't available or is too complicated to make. When I used to mess with cars I always rebuilt/ repaired parts as they came off, so I didn't get left with a depressing pile in the corner of the garage. All I had to do at the end was re-assemble it, but I know plenty of people who didn't take that approach and eventually gave up. Photos at every stage of disassembly do help a lot, as does labelling and bagging things, if you have a memory like mine.

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Kubota TF60 tractor/cultivator - winter overhaul & rebuild
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 01:15:46 pm »
The only advice I'd give is to establish the fault and fix it first, otherwise you may find you've done a lot of work only discover that a failed part isn't available or is too complicated to make.

That seems like such obvious advice, and yet...  :innocent:

I'm a wee bit off ready for it, but that hadn't occurred to me. It may be because I know what the problem is and roughly where it's likely to be, but it's a very valid suggestion. My only thoughts so far are to remove the engine and major external components, then see what I can see.

It's the rotary drive mechanism that is not playing ball, and I suspect it is a small internal part that has sheered: hopefully I will only need to buy/make a collar or pin. when I last had it running it would drive along just fine, but when I engaged the rotavator spindle it stopped moving along as soon as there was any resistance.

I hadn't thought that it may not be saveable, but because parts are likes hens' teeth, if it is something I can't repair there will be some spare parts going on the market.

I'm hoping to make a start on the dismantling in the next month.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS