Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaners how long?  (Read 1506 times)

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
Weaners how long?
« on: September 27, 2020, 03:41:23 pm »
I've recently acquired 2 weaners. Boar and a gilt.

Plan is to eventually slaughter the boar and keep the gilt for breeding.

My question is at what age should I make sure the boar is slaughtered so as not to end up with him covering his sister (the gilt)?

And when could I borrow a boar to put with her

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Weaners how long?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 03:46:46 pm »
For slaughter i would go on kill weight and not age.

What breed is the gilt? That could make a difference in when would be best to put her with a boar. Personally i would save money and do AI instead.

Question i would ask though. What company is the gilt going to have after you've slaughtered the boar? Pigs are social animals and need company.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 04:53:51 pm »
Its always exciting when you start out! I would add a word of caution though. Pigs are highly sociable animals and need to be kept with others at all times. You could have two breeding girls, or you could have a castrated boar as a companion for her. I would also be mindful of the time of year it is and the ground conditions, you might be suprised at how distructive pigs are and change your plans in a few months.

In your sitiuation I think it might  be an idea to raise both pigs for yourself and see how it goes before going down the breeding route. If you decide to breed, you are probably better off buying an in-pig sow who has farrowed before and is a proven mother. Young inexperienced sows and a first time owner really aren't the best combination.

Good luck with them, Pigs are wonderful charicters :)

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 06:32:29 pm »
Thanks guys, we've had pigs before but only same sex at a time for meat etc

Maybe even buy a young boar near the time of slaughtering this boar to keep her company?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 06:40:39 pm »
Have you bought a breeding gilt or have you bought a meat weaner for breeding?  If you bought a breeding gilt then can you take her back to where you bought her from? If you bought a meat weaner then is it correct for breeding?

Normally you want a gilt to farrow down 12 -14 months of age.  Once she starts cycling and he starts mounting they need splitting.

You will be juggling finishing a pig alongside a gilt that really wants pushing on a bit more so she is well grown to go to the boar, carry a litter and not lose too much condition with her first litter.

You will need to spilt from 5 months at the latest.

You will need to find out who might loan you a boar. Whether it can come to you. Whether you can manage it for three weeks. Gilts can be daft about the boar first time so it might not be possible to put them in together straight away. They might not be able to stay in together after the goes off heat either.

As others have mentioned you need to think about company.

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 06:54:36 pm »
Perhaps maybe I should source another gilt weaner and run the 3 of them.

Then when boar goes at least there's still the 2 gilts?

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 07:10:33 pm »
How much space have you got for three weaners? They need more then you think.

We have 1000 pigs on our outdoor farm and it takes a lot of space
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 07:19:39 pm »
I've 4 acre here, maybe half acre for the pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS