Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Replacing tag on torn ear  (Read 1436 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Replacing tag on torn ear
« on: September 23, 2020, 11:55:22 am »
Hi all, hope everyone is well.

I have a ewe who will be away to a new home tomorrow. She lost a tag at some point again this year (repeat offender!) and now i will really struggle to find a spot to put a new tag in.

Anyone know if you need to put two in one ear for please the powers that be?

Thanks in advance

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Replacing tag on torn ear
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 01:20:53 pm »
Is her new home a permanent one?  Were it me (and it has been) I get upset at the effect of all these tags on sheep's ears, so as you have run out of fresh places for her to rip, I would hand over the spare tag to the new owner to keep safe somewhere and not actually put it in the ear, for welfare purposes, as long as it matches the other tag and it's not the EID. Talk it over with the new owner first of course.  In my experience most sheep keepers on a smallholding scale would prefer to keep the tag safely with her registration documents.  If she would then be going on to a sale at some point, or for slaughter, the owner would have the tag available to put in and by that time the ear would have healed.
If you spot an ear recently torn by a tag, you can use superglue to repair the tear.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 03:15:16 pm »
I'm not quite sure what your asking about putting two in one ear? Are you asking if you can put two (the Eid and Visual in the same ear - yes you can.

If she is off to a smallholding I would do as Fleecewife says and hand over tags with her rather than try and tag her again. I tend to do this with goats these days as they are always ripping them out

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 06:10:38 pm »
Thank you both. Yes, it's a permanent home, and I would imagine will be for the rest of her life. I will do as you suggest and hopefully new owner will be happy to just take one tag and use should she need it. My question was could I put the visual and EID in the same ear should I need to? I hate the things, awful things.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 06:27:29 pm »
You can use Pastern tags which are totally acceptable instead of the second tag. I’d probably do that rather than put 2 tags in 1 ear or sell the ewe with 1 tag and 1 tag with the paperwork- the buyer may not have the correct tagger to insert said tag if they needed to.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 07:36:10 pm »
must have EID tag in ..... so depends which one is missing what you should do
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 10:03:55 am »
You can use Pastern tags which are totally acceptable instead of the second tag. I’d probably do that rather than put 2 tags in 1 ear or sell the ewe with 1 tag and 1 tag with the paperwork- the buyer may not have the correct tagger to insert said tag if they needed to.

As Twizzel says - if the one remaining in her ear is the EIF one and the ne wowner would rather have two ID's, then a pastern tag is totally fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS