Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Primitive eagle ?  (Read 4695 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Primitive eagle ?
« on: September 22, 2020, 10:14:25 pm »
I was doing some gardening near Whitsands Bay, East Cornwall which is a good site for para-gliders.

First time my pair have ever seen one (a para-glider) in the air and they were so panicked - yelping and trying to get close to me, but hindered by tethers.  Luckily I sussed the problem in quick time:  however, "dad's" reassurance was not good enough to settle them as the 'glider circled round so I put them in the car where they settled soon enough. 

They are not fazed by buzzards, for example, or planes, but I wonder whether the huge slow para-glider triggered some sort of primal/innate fear of large raptors.  (I've seen - TV/web - Golden Eagles take foxes and even larger mountain sheep.)

Anyone else experienced similar doggy distress ?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Primitive eagle ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 09:32:04 am »
Not the dogs but have had some near misses with the horses. It would seem to me that dogs could easily see them as a large, airborne predator. Also had a very lucky escape with horses when a hot air balloon landed in the field next to the bridleway.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:00:44 am by harmony »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 01:26:15 pm »
Dogs and sheep here go berserk at balloons but we've not had any paragliders low over our place, just microlights and they don't bat an eyelid at those.  No reaction to flying raptors other than by the hens, which vanish instantly under foliage. Raptors sitting on fence posts are seen as chums  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 02:39:12 pm »
Our dogs show no concern at raptors.

They are alarmed though by very low military planes and helicopters. But then so am I!!!!!!!!

Not sure whether they would link para gliders etc to raptors or just be concerned because they haven't encountered them before??????

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 02:45:16 pm »
Could it be the silence of them that caused the distress?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 11:06:57 pm »
I wonder, but I'm beginning to wonder also whether these silent flying things are not so silent to dogs' ears !?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 02:07:31 am »

It's certainly the noise of balloons that terrifies dogs - all that whooshing of the burners. Paragliders will alomost certainly make sounds such as whistles and whooshes that we can't hear so you are probably right
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS