Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for Production Pigeons  (Read 2015 times)

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
Looking for Production Pigeons
« on: September 18, 2020, 01:07:15 pm »
Have wanted pigeons for years and as they will be for meat I decided to get a production breed instead of cast off racers or the like.

But I can't seem to find anyone selling them so thought I would ask here and see if anyone knows anyone.

My kids are "giving" them to me for Christmas so no big rush but time, it does fly!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Looking for Production Pigeons
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 09:51:45 am »
I have seen King (the show variety), Modena and Giant American Runt in Melton Market several times.
I could never find them on internet - but they must be there somewhere.
I could never find meat rabbit suppliers either, untill i met a lady recently who said she used to have 300 breeding meat does untill couple of years ago, not far from us as well!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

LeeHambone

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 09:29:41 pm »
It's a bit of a niche market at the moment. We keep several table breeds and productive crosses. The traditional table breeds are pretty much exhibition birds now so the crosses are more productive. There are squab farms in France who'll sell you 200 pairs at a time if you're going into commercial production

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 12:00:14 am »
I found a pair for EIGHTY POUNDS!!! :o

Have decided to just go with the cheapest birds I can find local to me and learn with them first.  Once I am confident I will spend for better stock.

Just like all pigs are made of pork, all pigeons are made of meat. ;D

LeeHambone

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 10:21:22 am »
Which breed did you find? £80 a pair is definitely Fancy Show Pigeon type of price! There's quite some money in the pigeon game :)

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 09:22:11 pm »
They were the only pair on Preloved and it just said King Pigeons - no time wasters please.

Seemed hugely expensive to me, hence being happy to buy (once my shed is built) several pair of just mutt birds.

Are pigeons called mutts or cross breeds or what? lol

LeeHambone

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 09:44:55 pm »
I'm hoping you have a good pair, high quality exhibition Kings can be low in fertility.

Mutts are usually just called crosses, based on which parent they resemble the most, such as King crosses, Racer crosses etc

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 06:40:27 pm »
I'm hoping you have a good pair, high quality exhibition Kings can be low in fertility.

Mutts are usually just called crosses, based on which parent they resemble the most, such as King crosses, Racer crosses etc

I won't waste money on anything saying show or showing lines.  Fertility is the first thing that seems to go away when reaching for show ideals but it should be the first thing any production line of any breed is judged on.

Getting excited though, have wanted pigeons of my own for getting on 40 years or so. 

LeeHambone

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 08:29:37 pm »
Be aware they are contagious! I've had them 25 years and currently have 150 of about 10 different breeds!

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 02:54:58 pm »
Be aware they are contagious! I've had them 25 years and currently have 150 of about 10 different breeds!

Oh how funny, that is what I tell people about rabbits!  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS