Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to Feed  (Read 4796 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
What to Feed
« on: March 10, 2021, 11:08:45 am »
I have 3 cats, one is old and forgets he has been fed. Will eat the dog food every chance he gets. One is feral and the other getting on in years too. I don't buy cheap cat food but more and more they are turning their noses up at their meals every day. In the summer I would expect the younger 2 are hunting but winter they stay in the barn sleeping a lot. I can't leave their meals out as the chickens are in the barn just now and they are very good at finding cat dishes. They have an hour in the morning while I feed the ponies and muck out then I put their dishes away until late afternoon when i am back outside. They have meat in the morning and dry food evening. they come looking for their breakfat as soon as I enter the barn but then give me a look as if to say I am not eating that so I buy another brand which may be OK for a few days them back to leaving it. Going nuts !

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What to Feed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 12:28:44 pm »
I don't know whether it would help, but the rotary cat feeders work well.  Maybe set one up to give them a feed in the night, before the chooks are up and about?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 01:17:16 pm »
All our cats have been like this. They eat one food for a while but then 'go off it'.  We just keep swapping brands and find that how expensive it is makes no difference at all to the cats opinion of it!
Our old girl is 18 now and very fussy. Have to admit to cooking chicken, turkey and fish for her several times a week. Vet advised canned tuna too.
Not sure that helps much with barn cats though.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 02:36:38 pm »
Chicken wings from Lidl or Aldi, £1.49/kg. They can eat the whole thing, skin, bones. Big cat is 19  this year and is doing well, can still crunch up the bones. They Freeze and thaw well. I also get shot pigeons and rabbits. They like beef bone marrow (free from butchers). Anytime I can get offal cheap they get it, big cat won’t touch liver. Little cat catches big rats and all manor of small mammals to supplement. I feed everything raw and outside, unless it’s pouring down with rain/snow. All three bury/cash food and go back to it when they want.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 03:11:20 pm »
Well I tried the chicken wings and they were not having it. Now I put out there wet cat food in the morning which gives them the hour to eat. Then I take it away. Evening they have dried food while I take in and feed the ponies. Again I put it away. It is amazing what a bit of time without self service food does. Clean bowls within 10 mins in the morning. :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS