Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccination site reaction/abscess  (Read 1123 times)

Julia1521

• Joined Jul 2020
Vaccination site reaction/abscess
« on: September 14, 2020, 06:15:49 pm »
Hi guys,

About a month ago I vaccinated my goats with Lambivac. I cleaned the top of the bottle with an alcohol wipe before withdrawing anything, used a new needle for every animal and they were dry and clean when I injected them. A few of them still have hard lumps. I've never had this when injecting wormers. The data sheet said "Vaccination may result in small (<10 cm) transient injection site reactions possibly lasting for up to 3-4 months after vaccination". My question is how do I know if these lumps are indeed just normal injection site reactions or if they are abscesses and need treating. They don't feel warm, they don't seem to have got any bigger and none have burst. But they haven't gone away.

Anyone else see many lumps after vaccinating? I feel bad because I worry it was my injection technique but like I say I've never had any lumps from injecting wormers so I don't know.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Vaccination site reaction/abscess
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 06:34:54 pm »
Yes quite normal, unless they get infected they will go in time. My goats (up to age 2) are boostered every 4 months with Lambivac, so often have more than one lump.

JOhne's vaccine is even worse.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS