Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat scours  (Read 1752 times)

markb

• Joined Sep 2020
Goat scours
« on: September 21, 2020, 07:25:19 pm »
My 4 year old goat seems to have an upset tummy. She's eating and drinking fine but has pretty loose stools. They aren't really watery, I would liken it to cake mixture. She hasn't eaten anything other than hay and grass recently and the grass has been dry and not particularly lush. She had a worm egg count done about a month ago which was clear so the vet said not to worm until winter. However, I did a pooled sample with 7 other goats so it's not perfect. It seems to have been going on about a day. Any ideas what this could be?

I'm pretty worried, I know how quickly they can go downhill when they have scours. Maybe if it isn't better tomorrow afternoon I will phone the vet to see about sending another stool sample? I don't have any electrolytes or probiotics to give her, are the homemade ones actually any good? Would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers guys

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goat scours
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 08:42:41 pm »
Diarrhoea can be caused by a few things other than worms, if she is otherwise bright and keen to eat and drink, I don't think we are talking an emergency. So yes, if you can get an individual fecal sample from her tested that would at least rule something out. Also I would take her temperature, if she isn't cudding she may feel a bit cold - a rug/coat will often cheer them up.

My goats get a "24 to 48 hour bug" every so often, usually in spring and then again in autumn, seems to be viral (according to my vet), and moves round the shed... but with that the first one or two can be quite ill (no appetite, not even for hay, but usually will eat fresh greens, esp willow, no temperature), but within a wek or so they are back to normal.

I normally drench with an electrolyte solution, there will be recipes on Google, but a mix of warm water (or camomile tea) with some salt and honey (not refined sugar) will "help flushing their system". I have a pack of Effydral normally, they are dry tablets and last forever. Just dissolve them in a litre of lukewarm water, then drench.

markb

• Joined Sep 2020
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 09:01:01 pm »
Diarrhoea can be caused by a few things other than worms, if she is otherwise bright and keen to eat and drink, I don't think we are talking an emergency. So yes, if you can get an individual fecal sample from her tested that would at least rule something out. Also I would take her temperature, if she isn't cudding she may feel a bit cold - a rug/coat will often cheer them up.

My goats get a "24 to 48 hour bug" every so often, usually in spring and then again in autumn, seems to be viral (according to my vet), and moves round the shed... but with that the first one or two can be quite ill (no appetite, not even for hay, but usually will eat fresh greens, esp willow, no temperature), but within a wek or so they are back to normal.

I normally drench with an electrolyte solution, there will be recipes on Google, but a mix of warm water (or camomile tea) with some salt and honey (not refined sugar) will "help flushing their system". I have a pack of Effydral normally, they are dry tablets and last forever. Just dissolve them in a litre of lukewarm water, then drench.

Thanks Anke that's reassuring! Like I said I've seen how quickly goats can go down so it always scares me when they get ill and it's hard to know when to call the vet. I don't want to wait until things get really bad but I also don't want to call the vet unnecessarily. At what point do you think you would call the vet out or at least ask about sending a sample?

I will pop out tomorrow to look for some Effydral tablets they sound good! How often do you give this? Also if my farm shop doesn't have them do you know if I could just use any old sheep/calf electrolytes or do they have to be specifically for goats? Lots of questions sorry!

Thank you!! :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 09:54:09 pm »
I get Effydral through my agri merchants, but vets will have them as well, or their preferred alternative. You can use any electrolyte solution as far as I am aware.

As long as they are bright and eating, I don't worry too much. I have lost (young) goats to enterotoxaemia (even though I do vaccinate), and that is always the biggest worry of they go "loose", but if they are no worse after 24 hours it is probably something else.

I would check out her worm status though, and worm if necessary.

markb

• Joined Sep 2020
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 08:00:10 pm »
Little update. I made her a homemade electrolyte solution as I couldn't find any at the store. I didn't need to drench it, she loved it and drank it straight from the bucket. The next day she was much better and back to having normal poos!

I've brought some 'Go-Biotic - probiotic sachets' and ordered some Effydral tablets so I will be prepared next time! Thanks again for your advice.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 04:25:45 pm »
Good news!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS