Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe rejects ram  (Read 1753 times)

stuaglyd

• Joined Dec 2017
Ewe rejects ram
« on: October 26, 2020, 07:09:26 pm »
Hi....running my proven ram with several ewes. One particular ewe runs a mile when ever the ram shows interest. Believe the ewe is seasoning, she is 4yrs old and has run from the ram ever since we started trying her with a ram some 2yrs ago.....any thoughts how I might help there relationship

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ewe rejects ram
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 03:48:17 pm »
Put them all in a pen or shed every night ,so she can't run away although you don't say if she has had lambs for the last 2 times despite running away or is this the problem that she has never stood for the ram ??

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 03:55:40 pm »
If she runs from the ram for the last 2yrs and she's 4 I'm assuming she has never stood for him and never had lambs? If thats the case I would cull her. Penning her with him when she really doesn't want to be near him isn't something I'd want to do.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 10:32:18 am »
If she has never lambed or even stood for the tup., then it is most likely that is intersex/hermaphrodite or a free-martin. It is often completely invisible as the "male" parts are either internal or she just has a totally underdeveloped/no uterus. It happens, but is less understood in sheep (better understood in goats as it is linked to hornless genetics). Also most ewes are culled after one unproductive year in a commercial setting, with the cause for infertility not investigated at all.

stuaglyd

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 10:21:31 pm »
Thanks all for the responses; the ewe and the rest of the flock are nearing 'pet'status so culling currently not on the agenda; understand what you have said on intersex, guess this could be the issue, but currently prefer to discount; reference the 'lock in the stable option' is this method of trying to prevent the ewe running widely used, would like to follow this plan initially... thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 11:01:52 pm »
I think locking her in the stable could cause injury not only to her but your ram, which could impair him working again in the future.

I had a ewe that didn’t stand very well at tupping, the ram chased her round a lot- she was empty come spring despite returning for a second cycle so was culled. It could be you just have to accept she will not breed so either keep as a lawn mower or cull her. You can’t force them sadly.

stuaglyd

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 12:25:39 am »
Thanks & fair point; we are happy for her to continue cutting grass

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 11:06:08 am »
Hermaphrodites in sheep happen but are rare ,personally i have seen  maybe 3 out of  maybe 50,000 plus lambs , Freemartin's  again happen and you would as said never know  , but all evidence says it is at a low level in sheep unlike cattle .   I never suggested  " locking in a stable " i said put all the sheep in over night only , ewes run with rams at tupping  inside a shed is not uncommon all over the world and i have done it a couple of times if weather / grazing problems  make it the best option .  A ewe will not stand for a ram unless she is in heat  and most rams will not be interested in ewe until she starts approaching that point in her cycle .  If she is unable to cycle then the ram may check her out but nothing more  , ewes running from a ram when not in heat can be seen  all the time especially in younger ages

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS