Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccinations from scratch, advice please  (Read 891 times)

Madmandy

• Joined Jul 2017
Vaccinations from scratch, advice please
« on: August 02, 2020, 09:25:05 pm »
So.....mother in law has finally handed over possession of 12 ewes ranging in age from 2 years to 15 years. None of them to our knowledge has ever had any vaccinations of any sort.
Obviously a drench will be necessary and we want to give them whatever they need to protect them from as much as possible. So especially fly strike and foot rot as they're on longish grass. They have free range of about 12 acres.
We don't have the facility for dipping.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Vaccinations from scratch, advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:59:27 pm »
You can vaccinate against footrot but if they don’t have any feet problems then I’d see how they go. My sheep graze long grass and don’t have footrot. Ewes should tolerate long grass better than lambs.

Flystrike- they should have been shorn by now, if not get them done ASAP. Then a dose of crovect or Clik will see them to the end of the fly season. Clik is much more effective at preventing flystrike than crovect due to the way it spreads throughout the wool.

All incoming sheep ought to be quarantined and given a drench of group 4 or 5 wormer to clear out any resistant worms. Keep them in for 2-3 days after dosing. Adult sheep don’t tend to need regular drenching for worms.

It might be worth getting them onto Heptavac P for clostridial disease prevention.

Madmandy

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 07:30:16 am »
Thank you so much Twizzel, thats brilliant

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 04:14:59 pm »
if some have got to 15 years old without vaccines then no need to bother  :)

i would certainly worm when coming on the land and i use crovect
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 09:12:29 pm »

:wave:

Can you check with your Mother In Law about vaccinations?

Have the sheep moved to you? If you already have them on your land then I would get an egg count done and worm accordingly. It doesn't sound like you already have sheep to worry about bio security.

Do you just have the 12 acres? If so you might want to consider splitting it into smaller paddocks for future management of the sheep and your pasture.

What breed is your little flock?

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS