Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kids under heat  (Read 1336 times)

123...Goats!

• Joined Jul 2020
Kids under heat
« on: July 23, 2020, 05:40:12 pm »
We are buying a 3 week nubian kid in thats been bottle fed due to being abandoned by its mother and have been told that it needs to go under heat but we havent been given any specifics on how to achieve this. The kid will be kept alone until it's old enough to join our bigger girls. Has anyone had experience with young orphaned kids or has an idea how to safely implement heating? Any advice appreciated.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Kids under heat
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 05:52:05 pm »
I think that at three weeks old the kid would definately not need any heat, particularly in the summer! Any lambs I have that that are ill will be under a lamp for 2 maybe three days tops and that is during february when its seriously cold!

I would put the kid next to the older goats so it has company, it will really needs his own kind for company and to grow up well adjusted. After a week or so maybe you could try it with one of your quieter goats and see how they get on, as its a kid they will probably be more accepting than if it was an adult goat - presuming your goats know what kids are!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Kids under heat
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 06:00:59 pm »
How experienced are you with goats and in particular bottle feeding kids? Do you know if this kid has had a good amount of quality colostrum?

If the current owners tell you it needs a heat lamp at 3 weeks old.... I would be suspicious as to how old the kid is and how likely it is going to have further problems....

My goat kids never have a heat lamp, especially not in their goat shed - all wood and straw around possibly quite active goat kids.... a recipe for disaster. If needed, kids come into the (human) house for a few days.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS