Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Feed (Hygiene And Enforcement) (devolved locations) Regulations 2005  (Read 648 times)

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
So, I'm wondering.... how many people on the forum have registered in accordance with the above-mentioned regulations?  I see there are similar for each area of the UK:
- The Feed (Hygiene and Enforcement) (Wales) Regulations 2005
- The Feed (Hygiene And Enforcement) (Scotland) Regulations 2005
- The Animal Feed (Hygiene, Sampling etc. and Enforcement) (England) Regulations
- The Feed (Hygiene and Enforcement) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2005

This guidance document, (https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/animals-and-agriculture/feed-hygiene-for-farmers-and-growers) specific to the English legislation, but I would think broadly applicable across all equivalents says "...Examples of feed businesses include:

feed manufacturers
feed importers
sellers of feed
feed transporters
storers of feed
food companies selling co-products or surplus food for use in feed
pet food manufacturers
livestock farms, fish farms or arable farms growing and using or selling crops for feed use"

and "any undertaking, whether for profit or not and whether public or private, carrying out any operation of production, manufacture, processing, storage, transport or distribution of feed including any producer producing, processing or storing feed for feeding to animals on his own holding".

I'm reading this to mean anyone making their own hay or growing any form of "stock feed" as well as any "purchased in feed" has to register - so that would be all of us, right?
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Do you produce more than 20 tonnes of hay?  Domestic pets excluded so does not apply to most horses/ponies, if eggs are for home use then poultry are out of it.

To comply just keep any feed bag labels from purchased stuff.

Yes a few of us will come under the regulations but the majority will not.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Yes, we are registered, it's just a simple phone call to the council if I remember right. 

To be honest I wouldn't have known about it if we hadn't gotten approved by QMS but it probably applies to anyone with sheep, cattle or poultry although I suspect that if you aren't selling anything then they won't be coming pounding on your door to check.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Never even heard of it!

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Our local authority has a visible list of those registered... I was intrigued as to why only one of the 3 main feed suppliers in the area was on it, none of the farmers and few others.

It was an easy process to register, I ticked all the "possibly applicable" boxes on the form, had a lovely chat with the lady from the team dealing with it who discounted most of the listings and worked out which one made most sense (apparently you don't need to register as a transporter if you're just collecting from the feed mill to take back to the farm as it's considered to be intrinsic to the keeping of livestock listing).

Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
I have to admit I saw a post about keeping feed bags on here a while back, but its not something I do. I give my postcode to the feed shop whenever I buy feed so there must be some sort of paper trail/tracability?

Locations: France

Started by Troubled Waters

Replies: 10
Views: 3354
Last post June 26, 2009, 09:28:14 am
by Hilarysmum
Locations: Wales

Replies: 3
Views: 1680
Last post June 19, 2009, 10:46:00 pm
by Castle Farm
Locations: Scotland

Replies: 14
Views: 4738
Last post June 24, 2009, 11:08:15 pm
by doganjo
Milk direct from the farm -locations in UK

Started by Factotum

Replies: 8
Views: 2342
Last post August 27, 2015, 08:04:55 am
by Carse Goodlifers
A good reason to feed GM free feed

Started by clydesdaleclopper

Replies: 6
Views: 2136
Last post November 03, 2015, 11:18:30 pm
by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS