Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In pig gilts - feeding advice  (Read 1543 times)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
In pig gilts - feeding advice
« on: June 30, 2020, 07:01:20 pm »
Hi , I have two in pig gilts . Any specific feeding advice for them during pregnancy . They presently free range with plenty of foraging to eat and 1.6kg of pig nuts each daily. They also get lots of bean pods , and any greens I get from the allotment and small holding garden .
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

HappyHippy

• Joined Apr 2020
Re: In pig gilts - feeding advice
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 08:32:37 pm »
I would just continue to feed their usual rations. You don't want them to get overly fat as it could cause problems with birth and post-birth squashes. If they are demolishing their pig nuts quickly and still seem hungry some extra veg wouldn't go wrong but we never increased rations during pregnancy.
Good luck with them - when are they due? (And what breed? Just since I'm nosey  ;))

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 09:40:04 pm »
Hi, both are GOS. One has been AI ‘d with GOS . The other has been AI’d with a Welsh . They both are due in September so very early yet.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:28:40 pm »
Most people don't increase the ration through pregnancy. Some people do increase mid way through dropping back before farrowing. An adult pig needs 5/6lbs a day which is more than yours are getting. Maiden gilts are still growing so they need to be able to do that and grow piglets. Also gilts can drop weight quickly with first litters. They are free range so getting plenty of exercise so getting too fat shouldn't be an issue.

As with feeding any animal you should regularly assess body condition and adjust as necessary.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 09:22:42 pm »
Hi , thanks for the advice . Both look good and I’ve upped their feed a bit ,they’re getting huge amounts of  green stuff from me and fellow allotment holders who are only too glad to give me stuff..fav is pea plants and spinach gone to seed????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS