Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Know your Wormers - Well, I thought I did!?!  (Read 1825 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Know your Wormers - Well, I thought I did!?!
« on: July 10, 2020, 11:20:35 am »
I'm just off the phone with an online farm supplies place. I used to order online, but can't any more because everything is now on prescription and has to be done over the phone with a qualified person.

Me: "I'm looking for a white sheep wormer please, to treat nematodirus"
Assistant: "Certainly sir, we'd recommend XXXX. The active ingredient in that is Ivermectin"
Me: "Hang on, that's a group 3 clear wormer - I'm looking for a group 1 white wormer because it's only for nematodirus?"
Assistant: "No, that one isn't actually clear. I think it's more of a yellowy colour? It will treat lungworm and nasal bots as well though"
Me: "....................................."

OK, I should have been clearer and asked for a group 1 wormer right from the outset, but still, what on earth!?!  :dunce:

BTW, if this post makes absolutely no sense, there is a fairly straightforward guide to the different wormer groups on the SCOPS website.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Know your Wormers - Well, I thought I did!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 02:33:26 pm »
I seem to remember some clear wormers will treat nemo (Oramec is one) but white wormers have no resistance to nemo which leaves the clear ones for when there’s actually worms to treat. If that makes sense??

That said if an SQP thinks the colour is based on the actual liquid colour then maybe they should go back to school :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 04:58:37 pm »

That said if an SQP thinks the colour is based on the actual liquid colour then maybe they should go back to school :roflanim:

Yes, I think that was rather the point of the story ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 08:27:21 pm »
I seem to remember some clear wormers will treat nemo (Oramec is one) but white wormers have no resistance to nemo which leaves the clear ones for when there’s actually worms to treat. If that makes sense??

Yes, that's right. We're in the I think unusual position of having nematodirus which are resistant to group 3 (clear) wormers but not yet white, hence why I really wanted a white wormer.

I should also have said, I ordered five different things from them and had to give them my CPH number five times. Seriously?  ::)

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 05:55:21 pm »

Most anthelmintic types will treat nemo ---
Vets have always advised the use of white wormers for nemo because there is lots of strongyle resistance to this class of anthelmintic
Guess what ---1st cases of resistance to white drenches in nemo are being reported now

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 08:01:58 pm »

Yes indeed. Except ours definitely exhibit resistance to Ivermectin, which is a group 3 wormer. I know - it surprised me too!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 08:43:02 pm »

Yes indeed. Except ours definitely exhibit resistance to Ivermectin, which is a group 3 wormer. I know - it surprised me too!

Change in weather patterns has changed /forced evolution in nemo hatching patterns too
We have seen a change from almost exclusive spring hatch to a more spread out breeding cycle---some of this may be due to the ''tradition'' of treating for nemo in the spring without always having a need
Some may be due to spring nemo being killed off but later hatching strains surviving ?
I find it all fascinating , the way in which these populations evolve/change /adapt so rapidly

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS