Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Post-weaning questions  (Read 1071 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Post-weaning questions
« on: July 04, 2020, 08:50:03 pm »
I’m sure I’ve asked this before but I post so much I can’t find where  ::)

So, how long after splitting the ewes and lambs can the ewes move onto good grass?

And how long before I can put the ewe lambs back in with their Mums?

Apologies for what has probably been asked before!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Post-weaning questions
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 09:35:02 pm »
I think the consensus last time was a month to both questions, but I too have not looked up the previous thread ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 09:52:10 pm »
I found one I’d asked about weaning and the ewes udders but couldn’t see where I’d asked these two, although I’m pretty sure I have!
I’ll have another look for it.
I feel a bit mean keeping them in the field they’re in!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 11:00:37 pm »
 I turned my ewes out today after 10 days in the shed on rations of hay and straw twice daily. About a month for ewe lambs although one of the ewes went back out today with her lamb- 10 days they seem to have forgotten each other  :fc:  she has had mastitis so couldn’t go up to the off ground with the other ewes that reared ewe lambs. I can keep an eye on her better at home.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 10:40:51 am »
Maybe mine would be okay to at least go on fresh grass then. It’s been 18 days in the field which is short on grass and big in moss so definitely not good grazing. Their udders have definitely gone down.
If I put ewe lambs back in with them as well, what do I need to watch for? I’m worried they’re going to start trying to feed again!! Should they just “ignore” each other?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS