Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yet another pig tag question!  (Read 1677 times)

Jay2

• Joined Aug 2019
Yet another pig tag question!
« on: June 29, 2020, 01:44:40 pm »
I am a new pig keeper. My first two weaners have just arrived and already have plastic button tags from the breeder. Do I re-tag when with my own slapmark before sending off to slaughter? Do I need to remove the ear tags that they already have?
Thank you.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
Re: Yet another pig tag question!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 07:33:15 pm »
Hi don’t know about anyone else’s experience but I put my own ear tag on them and slap mark them Just before they go off . The latter is me being cynical .. making sure I get my pig back  ;) Never had a problem so far.
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

HappyHippy

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 08:39:27 pm »
Don't try to remove tags that are already in!
You would normally add a metal slaughter tag before they go - better to wait until they are actually loaded into the trailer on slaughter day if you can, or a couple of days before so they forget about it before you load them!
If you tag with a slaughter tag too early they run the risk of ripping them out - then it's all blood, panic and purple spray  :innocent:
Our abbatoir didn't mind who's tags were on, as long as the tag numbers matched the paperwork - a quick call to yours will clarify.
Hope that helps  :)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:34:31 pm »
Hi, sorry for any confusion. We use the plastic tags , no blood , hardly a squeal and they don’t really notice after it’s done . We leave the old tags in . Yet again slap mark about 2 days before they go .

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 10:12:04 pm »
People often don't realise that weaners don't need a tag to move between holdings so when you get your next lot you could mention this as probably they were tagged just prior to moving to you. People seem to do all of the things suggested above when weaners arrive with tags. If you want to take the existing tags out do it now before they get too big if they are still able to be lifted by one person or wait until they are much bigger and used to you touching them.

Jay2

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 08:23:18 pm »
Thank you for all the replies. We have had them for two weeks and they are growing fast, don't think we would be able to pick them up easily now. I'm going with the leaving the old tags in option and just adding our own slaughter tags on the morning needed.

Thank you.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 09:16:26 pm »
Sounds good to me????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS