Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 785 acres SMALLHOLDING  (Read 1922 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
785 acres SMALLHOLDING
« on: July 08, 2020, 05:39:57 pm »
I was browsing through rightmove and came across a property described as a smallholding with 785 acres of land  :excited:

I suppose they mean the land is not suitable for commercial farming but if you have a dozen sheep or goats you would do great with this property - you can take them for walks for miles and miles every morning and you won't see anyone around - perhaps some deer and... midges  ;D
Have a look:
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-83381261.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 07:41:37 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 785 acres SMALLHOLDING
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 05:59:34 pm »
Oh, and they want a cool million for it - not even a house, but just a building plot?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 06:10:52 pm »
Well there is a house on it. Small but livable. You can see it on pictures and description
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 07:03:08 pm »
Well, I reckon TAS members should crowd-fund the purchase.  We can work out the contractual details later surely !  :D :D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 11:21:25 pm »
Location, Location, Location!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Collieman

• Joined Mar 2020
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 11:37:06 am »
I thought that the definition of a smallholding was under 50 Acres, above that it's a farm.

Luke

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 06:08:13 pm »
I thought that the definition of a smallholding was under 50 Acres, above that it's a farm.

Luke
Thats what I used to think.
But... apparently its more of a philosophical question - I am a smallholder? A lifestyle choice rather. There are "smallholders" or homesteads who do it on hundreds of acres. And ther are commercisl farmers on relatively small acreage.
There is no bounding definition of difference between farm and smallholding. In many countries 3 hecrares  (7 acres?) is regarded as a large farm!

This specific land in Scotland is not suitable for commercial farming thats why its being advertise as "smallholding" - its obviously not small  ;D but its a holding lol

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 11:34:41 pm »
One of my fave definitions is how you move your sheep. 

Chase 'em with a quad and / or dog, you're a farmer.

Call 'em, you're a smallholder.

:roflanim:

Imperfect, I know, but I enjoy it.  And it reminds me of a funny incident from a 2-day course I did many moons ago.  It was run by the local farm veterinary practice and it was called "Ruminant Health for Smallholders".  I still use things I was taught on that course, it was bloomin' good.  Anyway, the second day was practical, and we went to a smallholding to handle sheep and cattle.  We did the cattle first, all went well (except the intelligent Red Devon cow we were using learned that everyone wanted to pull her tongue out of her mouth so by the end was just flopping it out for you before you even touched her :hugcow:.)  Then onto the sheep.  First we had to get them in out of the field.  The smallholder went off with one group and the vet took my group.  No dog, we were directed to get behind the sheep and drive them.  Well, no such luck, the dang things kept getting behind us!  Of course they were used to being led in, they had no concept of being driven.  One of the other participants pointed this out, very red-faced vet  :roflanim:.  Soon as we reversed the operation and all just walked out of the field, the sheep just followed us like... well, like lambs!   :roflanim:  :hugsheep:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 03:05:14 pm »
I like your definition  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS