Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Straws cost?  (Read 1430 times)

Jollyhew

• Joined Jun 2020
Straws cost?
« on: June 09, 2020, 07:56:21 pm »
Hi,

I'm looking into straws for my goats. I'd prefer not to share the breed please as I may not be at liberty to share that information.

But am curious what is the going rate for a straw? What about rare breeds? How successful are they (percentage?) Or how commonly many straws are necessary to (assuming a good stud of course)? Do I pay for all straws needed, or does the supplier have to if 1 fails? Often with poultry eggs, you accept a level of failure but they are considerably cheaper than AI process which can get pricey quickly.

Thanks in advance?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 09:36:23 pm by Jollyhew »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Straws cost?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 04:10:12 pm »
I take it that you are talking about frozen AI straws here.  You buy the straws and unless a vet certifies no viable sperm on thawing then any failure to get the goats pregnant is your loss not the suppliers.  However if the straws are not viable according to a repro vet then you are entitled replacements.  This does have the proviso that they have been kept in a certified storage vat at proper premises and not been subject to temperature fluctuations liable to cause sperm death.

Jollyhew

• Joined Jun 2020
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 01:42:51 pm »
Hi,

Yes it would be with those assumptions so thank you for the info on responsibility.

So now I have to consider likelihood of success. What is the likely chance of success?

Also, does anyone know how much is the going rate for rare breed straws of a good quality buck?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 07:10:41 pm »
What method of AI have you in mind ?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 09:34:32 pm »
Hi,

Yes it would be with those assumptions so thank you for the info on responsibility.

So now I have to consider likelihood of success. What is the likely chance of success?

Also, does anyone know how much is the going rate for rare breed straws of a good quality buck?

There is not much of a "going" rate - it depend son who owns thwe straws, how many there are (and how many people have some), how easy it is for you to get them and store them etc etc...

Chance of success.... lap AI good if done by an experienced vet (experienced in sheep lap AI that is and knows how to handle goats), depends on quality of the straw (esp how it has been stored)....

What rare breed are you looking at? And who is going to do it for you?

I have done laprascopic AI successfully for the last 7 years, using AB Europe in Edinburgh.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS