Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaning and selling at the same time  (Read 3203 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Re: Weaning and selling at the same time
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 09:25:49 am »
I have got them advertised as lambs with ewes and got quite a bit of interest but a lot of time wasters like someone that offered me less per head than if I took them all to the mart myself. Got them on some farming as sites and the usual Facebook and Preloved etc. but it’s hard as everyone just wants to give you a bag of nuts for them.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 09:28:01 am »
Your picture is either a supranumary teat or a wart, I would need a closer look to be sure which one.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 09:52:09 am »
I have got them advertised as lambs with ewes and got quite a bit of interest but a lot of time wasters like someone that offered me less per head than if I took them all to the mart myself. Got them on some farming as sites and the usual Facebook and Preloved etc. but it’s hard as everyone just wants to give you a bag of nuts for them.

How much per life are you asking? It might be they are a bit pricey. You may be better weaning the whole lot, selling the ewes as breeding ewes in a breeding sale at local market and putting the lambs in the store pens. Depends how quick you want them gone really.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 10:12:28 am »
Your picture is either a supranumary teat or a wart, I would need a closer look to be sure which one.

It wasn’t there previously so don’t think it’s an extra teat. Definitely looks possibly like a very small gammy bit to the end. The lambs are definitely coming off in next couple of days so will check her out and have a feel of it, and prob spray with some AB and keep an eye on it.

It’s been suggested it could be a cyst or abscess caused by a blocked gland or lambs teeth I guess, or getting prickled by a thistle or some such. I know our Badgers came back from rough grazing and a couple had some marks to their udder from thistles, though none in a lump like this.

I think the problem with the sheep is they aren’t commercial meaty types and that’s what everyone wants. Plus I don’t want to sell them for less than we paid, especially as they’ve done they’re first lambing now. The guy that sold them to us suggested hanging on to them till Autumn and that there’d prob be more interest as breeding season approaches. I appreciate the year is speeding by. Most people that contacted wanted ewes or lambs, not both together!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 11:04:16 am »

I think the problem with the sheep is they aren’t commercial meaty types and that’s what everyone wants. Plus I don’t want to sell them for less than we paid, especially as they’ve done they’re first lambing now. The guy that sold them to us suggested hanging on to them till Autumn and that there’d prob be more interest as breeding season approaches. I appreciate the year is speeding by. Most people that contacted wanted ewes or lambs, not both together!

Obviously you can leave your advert running.  Are you a member of the relevant sheep society? They will have a for sale page and people looking at it will be looking specifically for those type of sheep.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 12:19:27 pm »

It wasn’t there previously so don’t think it’s an extra teat. Definitely looks possibly like a very small gammy bit to the end. The lambs are definitely coming off in next couple of days so will check her out and have a feel of it, and prob spray with some AB and keep an eye on it.

It’s been suggested it could be a cyst or abscess caused by a blocked gland or lambs teeth I guess, or getting prickled by a thistle or some such. I know our Badgers came back from rough grazing and a couple had some marks to their udder from thistles, though none in a lump like this.

It might be a bit late in the season for buying ewes with lambs at foot. R.e selling for less than you paid- ewes will devalue for each year you have them, so they are probably worth £10-20 a head less than what you paid if they’ve reared lambs. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 12:29:59 pm »
If you bought them from a reputable breeder, a member of the breed society, then do mention how and by whom they were bred in your ad.  Ewes from someone no-one's heard of won't be worth as much as the same ewes from a breeder ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 02:40:55 pm »

I just sold ewes with lambs at foot last week.

Echo SiN's comments above.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2020, 03:35:38 pm »
I have always found it very hard to sell ewes/lambs to smallholders and often find that its financially better and a lot less hassle to just cull them (depending on the ewes condition obviously). Trouble with people starting off with sheep is that they often can't tell a good ewe from a bad one. Usually the factor that makes them interested is the cheap price.

Established breeders might pick up the odd ewe at sales but many will breed their own replacements or buy from society sales rather than online sales sites.

I think your best option would either be to take your chances and send them through the sale ring or wean the lambs, fatten the ewes for a month or 2 and cull the ones you don't want to keep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS