Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing on hillside  (Read 3792 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Fencing on hillside
« on: June 23, 2020, 04:26:22 pm »
About to do some fencing on a steep hillside, part of the enclosed area will be almost vertical, with a beck at the bottom.  I want to go straight down the hill, across beck to wall about 5metre  other side, OH wants to fence along the hillside, land steep, but above the steepest bit, I'm worried if something slips, might end up trapped against the fence, I'm sure I've read something about that somewhere, thoughts please?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Fencing on hillside
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 05:18:47 pm »
About to do some fencing on a steep hillside, part of the enclosed area will be almost vertical, with a beck at the bottom.  I want to go straight down the hill, across beck to wall about 5metre  other side, OH wants to fence along the hillside, land steep, but above the steepest bit, I'm worried if something slips, might end up trapped against the fence, I'm sure I've read something about that somewhere, thoughts please?

I'm completely lost - a plan/diagram would help!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 08:48:24 am »
If I’ve understood it right, I’d have thought more risk including the beck and just a small strip on other side; just imagining sheep ending up there at the bottom of the near vertical bit and the beck rising!? (Presumably in the dark with other complications). Or maybe it has a good bridge and gate from other side in case of evacuation?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 11:45:56 am »
Sorry I don't understand - could you draw a diagram and post it please?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 09:14:28 pm »
If I'm picturing this correctly, the risk with fencing the beck IN is that they get trapped on the wrong side when waters are rising. How often does this happen? There are becks and there are becks. Can you fence across the water in a stockproof way that won't trap woody debris? 5 metres is a decent chunk of land though. Does this 5m link to another field you have?

If you fence towards the top of the hill, do you lose a significant amount of grazing land? That steep bit would make a good buffer along the watercourse (call it "rewilded"  :innocent: ). I would be worried about something sliding in to the fence if we were thinking cattle; less so with sheep. But remember that from further up the slope, the fence will seem lower and be easier to jump.

I think I would try to find a fenceline towards the top of the slope. If it's safe enough to stand there and knock a post in, should be ok from a sliding-sheep perspective?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 06:14:46 pm »
You haven't actually explained [member=22672]Penninehillbilly[/member] why you are so keen on dividing such a difficult field.  Would it be better, perhaps, to leave as is and look at a different fields management plan for whatever fields you have ??  I don't doubt you have thought hard about this, but ... sometimes it helps to change the plan:  adapt to rather than impose on ? 
Just a thought.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS