Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat proof feeders  (Read 2189 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
Rat proof feeders
« on: May 24, 2020, 08:54:05 am »
Hi,

Has anyone used or had experience with the rat proof chicken feeders. The ones where they have a platform to step on to lift the lid to the feed.

We’ve just finished the new night time enclosure for the hens and laid hardcore on the floor and buried thick galvanised wire around the edges as we started seeing more evidence of rats. So I was thinking of getting one of these feeders but don’t want to waste my money if they aren’t any good.

Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Rat proof feeders
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 10:11:22 am »
We have had a grandpa feeder and it worked well
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 10:28:11 am »
I bought a granpa "type" feeder. Looked more or less the same but a quarter of the price. It was (and still is) CRAP. The bolts kept coming undone and it didn't work properly anyway. Only the peafowl could feed from it. It's now it pieces as it self destructed once too often. I may one day get incentivised to modify it.
MORAL - pay that extra and get the real thing!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:30:05 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 12:02:38 pm »
We have Grandpa feeders too and they work very well

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 01:04:30 pm »
Yes saw the grandpa ones and they look well built. The others with similar function look a bit cheaper.

So worth the investment in a grandpa one. Looks like they do a 24 month guarantee

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 04:52:29 pm »
Yep, we've had Granpa ones for years. Very pleased with them - both function and quality

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 08:01:10 pm »
Another vote for the grandpa feeder but it took a while for this flock to work it out. I thought they were not so bright!
Now if there is one who cannot squeeze in they have learned to jump on the open lid to scatter the feeding birds and jump into their place. So pretty smart really.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 07:59:31 am »
Yep, GENUINE grandpa!

Got mine 4 years ago and once they were used to it, noticed how the feed lasted longer. Did consider buying alternatives but didn't like the fact they all seemed to be taller but thinner. My hen house floor, like the rest of the property is wonky so the low solid build of the GP is perfect.

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 11:30:51 am »
The Grandpa comes with instructions about training the birds to use it, you do it over a week or so.  Just setting  it up and waiting for them to work it out would take longer ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 12:16:45 pm »
We have a similar feeder (one of the cheaper, tall, thin models but find that a lot of feed ends up on the floor around the feeder.  We can't see anywhere it is 'leaking' feed so assume it must be that they are throwing it around as they feed.  Does anyone else have this with either the Grandpa feeder or the lookalikes?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 02:17:26 pm »
We had some scatter once the ducks discovered it.  ::)  (Ducks feed by scooping.)  There is a mesh insert you can put in which makes it harder for the ducks to steal / scatter the food.

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 02:29:56 pm »
Wayfarer - we have a similar feeder to yours and have the same problem. We also have a Grandpa feeder - much better!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS