Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where can I find a shearer for my Ouessant, Boreray and "Big" sheep?  (Read 1234 times)

judee

• Joined Sep 2010
Hello to all.I am seeking a shearer in North Devon for my flock of 40 sheep that are of very varying sizes. My past shearers are not going to be available until very late in the year and I do need to get them done pretty soon. Does anyone have any bright ideas where I might find one? Thanks.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Try Preloved.

My usual shearer (brother in law) buggered off back to NZ last year and though I had found someone to do the sheep this year (arranged last year) there's a slight pandemic on!!

Got a lot less sheep than you, now 5 (11 if include the lambs for the freezer) and was looking On preloved couple of days ago and they were done yesterday! He's from 40 miles away and basically for me, I'll pay what he wants! Actually gave him more and all the fleeces (saves me taking them to the woolboard!) Asked him to come back next year!

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Are you on Facebook? I would look for local farm/smallholding pages and post a wanted ad. I see quite a few this time of year and they usually throw up a few good contacts :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Devon Smallholders
(DASH) and Cornwall & Devon Smallholders on Facebook
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:25:52 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS