Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scab  (Read 762 times)

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
Scab
« on: May 21, 2020, 07:06:48 pm »
Hi.  I recently received back a sheep who had been at another farm since last September.  It was only after she came back, that a neighbouring farmer told me that the farm from which she'd come had scab.  I contacted the person concerned and she told me that she had given the ewe the first of a two injection course to cure scab.  She arranged to give the ewe the second injection on my holding.  I kept the sheep separate from the rest of the flock until yesterday when the shearer came.  When she was shorn she was very dry underneath with very flaky skin.  The fleece was horrible and will have to be burnt.  I hoped that the problem was solved.  Today I went up to the field and she was against the hay fever rubbing and rubbing.  Is it possible she still has scab or could it just be the residual skin irritation from having had scab.  I just need some advice please.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Scab
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 07:20:53 pm »
Could be either !! sorry , you need to get your vet out to do a skin scrape .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS