Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead chicks  (Read 1900 times)

LisaBellamy

• Joined Mar 2015
Dead chicks
« on: May 09, 2020, 10:08:43 am »
Hi got a 3 year old Sussex brooding for the first time - found one dead chick last week, not fully formed but well on its way and again today a dead chick, in what looked like a crushed shell with more than the usual blood about. Day 21 was yesterday so I'm hanging on,but a bit concerned. Could the hen be killing them or is it just bad luck ?. Had lost of successful broodies before - have just left her to it but wondering whether I ought to be listening to the other eggs. Any ideas? Unfortunately I don't have an incubator. Thanks

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Dead chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 10:52:41 am »
We had a first time broody Orpington that killed the chicks as they hatched. Fortunately we had an incubator and saved the last few. All you can do is wait.

LisaBellamy

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 06:35:25 pm »
Thanks - there seems to be one alive now but Ill wait and see what's happened come the morning. Do you know why they do it? With the first one I thought she might have known it was dead anyway and rejected it but twice seems unlikely!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 07:47:59 pm »
My guess would be they see them as a threat to their chicks, having never seen chicks before.

LisaBellamy

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 02:57:11 pm »
Well, after the first two dead, one new one got through the night and is quite active and another one's just started pipping so all may be ok in the end! Thankyou

LisaBellamy

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 07:27:53 pm »
Well the last one died/was killed as well - the three that died were all black chicks and the survivor is yellow. The mother is a white Sussex so am wondering if she didnt identify the darker chicks as her own - very strange!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 07:56:03 pm »
I had a wilkie hen that started attacking chicks as soon as hatched them...
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS