Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone know where I can buy wholemeal bread flour online during lockdown?  (Read 5950 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Thank you Scarlet Dragon, that's really kind of you to offer  :bouquet: .  My local grocer has come up trumps though, so as well as the Bradshaws flour from Ebay, I now have 2 small bags of Shipton Mill organic stoneground wholemeal bread flour and one bag of Wessex Mill cobber white (malted) plus a promise of bulk sacks as needed and a tin of yeast - pure gold that.  The Shipton Mill stoneground is good, nice and nutty (this morning's loaf was largely that) so I am sorted.  I hadn't realised how stressed I had become during my search, as our diet is very bread based - we don't really go for pasta, and last year's potatoes are finished. So now in the nick of time it's all worked out.  Everyone has been so helpful - thank you  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
and a tin of yeast - pure gold that.
Yeast? It's in abundance in your wholemeal flour, waiting for you to nurture it! Time to get your sourdough starter started Fleecewife... :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
and a tin of yeast - pure gold that.
Yeast? It's in abundance in your wholemeal flour, waiting for you to nurture it! Time to get your sourdough starter started Fleecewife... :)

Oh I know Dan, and I love sourdough bread, but it's the thought of feeding and nurturing the mother (no I'm not swearing) every day til it's grown before I can use it - all that planning ahead  :o.  Basically, I'm bone idle! Since I bought my first bread maker about 24 years ago I haven't made proper bread (my excuse is that we don't have anywhere warm here to set it to rise).  When I was a child, my Mum and I used to make our bread with real yeast from the baker's in the village, which meant a cycle down to get it, so as soon as I discovered dried yeast I pounced and I haven't looked back.  Sourdough is a whole extra dimension, but I shall have a go one day just to prove I can do it, before the stuff I bought goes out of date.  Mmm a sourdough loaf with chilli and cheese  :yum:
I'll just pop into You Tube to see how it's done.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS