Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it "just" a moult?  (Read 1825 times)

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
Is it "just" a moult?
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:20:13 am »
I'm concerned about one of my hens, Murdina and would appreciate some reassurance/advice.

She's going through her moult just now (poor things, what a time of year to do it  :( ) and I noticed yesterday that she seems unsteady on her legs - like she's being caught in a strong side wind and is leaning into it.   Although, if she thinks I'm going to pick her up she can break into a trot.

Her crop's fine, her eyes bright and alert, she's "chatty", and her (single remaining) tail feather is up.  She's very hunched up and spends most of the day sheltering.  I haven't seen her drinking, but I've been putting out some chopped tomatoes and sprinkling some poultry spice on it, and she's eating mealworm and corn. She just seems very woebegone and sorry for herself.

Am I fretting over nothing and is her general demeanour/unsteadiness just to do with the moult?  Is there anything else I can do?    :-\

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Is it "just" a moult?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:27:56 am »
one of mine, Maude, is going through similar. She's practically bald now and spends her days sheltering, shivering and looking quite rough.
I think if she can break into a trot then she's probably ok?

I have a specially made chook tabbard on its way to me, ordered it on ebay from a lovely lady. will post pics of maude modelling it when it arrives  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 12:24:57 pm »
How old is Murdina?  They can get a bit wobbly on their legs as they get old, and the moult can just be the last straw.  Give her lots of TLC and keep her cosy.  Some of mine looked horrible during the worst of the moult but  they have perked up no end now their feathers are covering them again - just a couple left to go.

Looking forward to seeing Maude's new tabard - can imagine the hens on Chicken Run knitting away to fill your order  :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:12:04 pm »
Just to say I became more concerned this afternoon when she could barely walk, so I took her to the vets.  Who was a bit nonplussed as chickens don't often appear in his surgery.

Anyway, she has a temp of 107 so there's obviously an infection. She got a jab of antibiotics and a steroid/anti-inflammatory.  I've got her inside in a dog-carrier thing, and keeping her quiet and calm.  Prognosis isn't great apparently, with a temp that high, so it'll be a case of touch and go over the next few days  :-\

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:11:58 pm »
Poor thing, good luck to her, hope she gets better soon.

Brahma girl

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 04:08:49 pm »
Hi

Just catching up and saw your post, sounds like an ear infection. All of my girls went through a really heavy moult this  year - which does make them vunerable to colds and chills, one caught an ear infection from who knows where - I knew there was some thing not right because she leaned over to the left looked lopsided , she was as good as new after a visit to the vets and anti - biotics jab. I did keep her in so she was away from the cold and drafts.

Hope your bird gets well soon
I live with my Hubby,dogs Ellie,Coco and Roo, my Cats Cilla, Archie, Chin. We keep beautiful Brahmas in Lemon Pyle. Red Pyle, Blue, Silver Blue, Gold Partridge, Black, Darks, Blue Splash. Lovely French Faverolles, cute Porcelain Pekins,Grey mottled,  Black, Lemon. Also Red Barbu d' Uccle.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS