Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholding in Turkey!  (Read 1359 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Smallholding in Turkey!
« on: May 20, 2020, 10:07:07 pm »
My father in law gave us an idea of moving to Turkey and buying a farm over there!

After a bit of research I realised the vast majority of farms are tiny in comparison to the UK!
I saw one 18 acre olive grove with 3 houses on it for £340k! And a beautiful 5 orange orchard with a 3 bedroom bungalow for £150k!

Livestock farms are very interesting - there was one with lots of buildings, cattle (for 100 head) and sheep housing (several hundred ewes)... and the whole farm was only around 8 acres! Apparently most people over there graze their animals - sheep, goats, cows, water buffalo on common land and bring them home every evening!
They have foxes, badgers, grey wolves, brown bears, leopards, golden jackals, lynx, caracals, hyenas (only in one region), and used to have both Caspian tigers and Persian Lions!!!
That's enough reasons to block up the animals every night!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:34:31 am by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Smallholding in Turkey!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:01:53 am »

Very interesting  :thumbsup: .
We used to have an Anatolian Karabash, which is a large Turkish livestock guardian dog - I see now why they are needed  :o  She once scared the pants off a woman who came onto our land unanounced, but tigers and lions might not have taken so much notice  8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 07:48:22 am »
I took this some years ago in Turkey, being amazed at how cows could be kept in such an environment. Besides the 2 in the foreground, see if you can spot the one by the houses near the top

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 05:57:38 pm »
Wow! I would think only goats would survive in that kind of area - perhaps kangaroos lol
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 09:55:04 am »

Very interesting  :thumbsup: .
We used to have an Anatolian Karabash, which is a large Turkish livestock guardian dog - I see now why they are needed  :o  She once scared the pants off a woman who came onto our land unanounced, but tigers and lions might not have taken so much notice  8)

I love them Fleecewife! - We used to have a Hungarian Kuvasz, again a livestock guarding breed, she was huge and looked fiercesome but was really soft - up to a point  ::)
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS