Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mole Valley wormers  (Read 1959 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Mole Valley wormers
« on: June 09, 2020, 12:55:25 pm »
Been looking at wormers - does anyone use the Mole Valley ones? They seem like they may be cheaper than others.

Also out of interest, can anyone explain the difference in withdrawal periods for products with the same chemical and method of administration? Saw it looking at Molemec (6) and Noromectin (14).

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Mole Valley wormers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 02:17:25 pm »
They are quite often cheaper than other brands, I’ve never had a problem with them. Just check the bottle isn’t too big- no point buying a cheaper, bigger bottle that will go out of date before you use it all. I try to buy wormer in 1 litre bottles to save wastage.  Withdrawals differ because of how long they stay in the body, how strong the product is and how they are metabolised... it is what it is, no point looking too much into it just pick one that suits your system and the worms you’re trying to kill.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 03:33:23 pm »
Actually I can see no justification for the withdrawal periods being different - and so different : 6 days for Molemec and 14 days for Noromectin.  The pharmaceutical particulars are identical, dosing rate is identical.  Definitely one to ask Mole Valley.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 04:49:13 pm »
We've used them for a while now, and they work (it's basically Tesco own brand ibuprofen vs Nurofen).

The only problem I have is that the prices recently disappeared from their website, and everything is "call for quote", which is a bit bizarre?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 03:56:04 pm »
Recently our vet had to give us Trioxyl LA as they could not get Betamox LA.  Same drug, same dose rate but double the withdrawal time.  I think it may be due to the way/costs of testing for the license.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 10:55:10 pm »
Thanks all, will maybe give Mole Valley a try next time. If it’s all the same ingredients as it were than there shouldn’t be any difference in performance I guess... and who knows why the withdrawal is different. Maybe I will contact Mole Valley and ask. It’s not important, as you say I can pick something with a withdrawal period that suits, but would be interesting to see what they say, especially as composition seems to be the same.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 08:20:30 am »
https://www.scops.org.uk/workspace/pdfs/know-your-anthelmintic-groups.pdf

I expect molemec drench is exactly the same as Oramec as they have the same withdrawal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS