Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 3 day old kid  (Read 2266 times)

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
3 day old kid
« on: April 14, 2020, 08:26:48 pm »
 I have a tiny  boer kid thats from a first time mother its 3 days old.  Problem being she's to small and not strong enough to reach her mothers teats. she suckles when lifted to them, she isn't really walking as such but can stand a  bit.  My other kids are 3 times the size.  I am unsure at this stage what to do . It is a real tie having to regularly help  her feed and at the same time so disapointing  that she isn't mobile enough is there something to give? or do?Many thanks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:32:55 pm by Belladonna01 »

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
Re: 3 day old kid
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 08:55:44 pm »
  She was one of two very undersized though full term ,from a first time 2yr old prime example boer . The other kid died after unsuccessful attempts inc tube feeding.    I Have had to bring her home today following the mothers actions of eating one of her ears. The kid was a good feeder when presented to the teat,now at home she has taken to milk by bottle. I will persist to help her standing.Spoke with vet today she said theres nothing she can really give her other than what I am now doing. Thank  you for replying

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:21:39 pm »
Good news today  Dragon Scarlet, the infant was on her feet this morning when i went in to see her in her box, fed well, tried getting herself on all fours most of the day, took her to mix with other kids in paddock for an hour , result! she walked  and settled down a few times... I feel we have turned the corner that other kids reach within their first few hours. 

Nirmal77

• Joined May 2020
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 08:10:59 pm »
Read all the story and feeling happy that kid stand on her feet

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS