Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Check your WILL is up to date  (Read 1711 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Check your WILL is up to date
« on: March 28, 2020, 12:54:53 pm »

Not a happy topic, but please do check that your WILL is how you want it and is up to date.  If you don't have one, now is most definitely the time to do it.  Once you are ill a quick and easy task would become fraught, and would become a danger to others.  Without a Will, any beneficiaries will have to wait for ages for their setttlement and some may miss out altogether.

We had been intending to make a small change but had put it off.  Our solicitor was most helpful, everything was done over the phone and by post, and our friend who delivers our food was able to witness our signatures whilst maintaining a safe distance.  That puts our minds at ease.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Check your WILL is up to date
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 05:18:53 pm »
Some sobering statistics from Scarlet.Dragon !!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 07:44:26 am »
I tried saying this elsewhere …. it wasn't taken in the way intended!

A will is VERY important ….  without one family disputes can become total family rifts over night with the only people gaining from the will being the solicitors!

The other thing younger people, who don't feel they need a will 'yet',  forget is their children …  who you would prefer they were cared for in result of  death or even long hospital stay.... if both parents were to be in an accident for example …. especially if grandparents do not get on.   

My will gives my Shetland cattle to the Shetland society .. as I would hate them to sold commercially or slaughtered.

… and yes as for updating I guess I should check it as things do change (new grandson  :excited: )
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 11:57:43 am »
Problem isthat  it costs quite a bit every time you update your will, so ymaybe ou could write it all down and record it as a 'codicil' with your lawyer, and maybe best to make it wider rather than specific - for instance say that all your animals must be dealt with by a friend/relative with whom you have discussed what you want?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 09:01:41 am »
We started on updating ours 2 weeks ago. The system is simpler in France but of course needs to be in French and to a specific format. Very straightforward, we just leave everything to the other. The difficulties started to unfold when we dealt with the issue of 'simultaneous death', which in our case will be within 28 days of each other. A pretty rare event but one that has to be dealt with. The beneficiaries are the executors, neither of which speak French or have any experience of French systems. So now we need to create a raft of guidance notes to explain how to find things and deal with everything, together with a comprehensive list of contacts. When you start to consider all the other paperwork they will be faced with the job begins to expand exponentially. All we can do is make a start and keep adding to them as necessary. Having stuff scattered around the place doesn't help, neither does keeping old records which will just add to their confusion.

At least we have started. I have been an executor in England, which was difficult enough, but here it is a potential nightmare.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 11:48:34 am »
That does sound a nightmare.  Having been an executor for my aunt's estate, I appreciate everything you say. She was in England too, so I used her solicitor for all the legal stuff. She thought she had everything well organised but it was shambolic, as in her last year all order had gone.
So we too are trying to get everything together and clarified, all in one place, so executors can lay their hands on it straight away.  All savings/bank account details, insurance, the password to our computer is important too for stuff not printed off.
We have no pets left which is a relief in a way (both our terriers died recently, and we've not had a cat for 6 years).  The livestock is more of a problem - too important to go to a sale, but our executors are not interested.  The possibility of both dying within a month of eachother is more common now with the Virus, so definitely need a plan B!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS